cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: System Restore Win 8.1

I get an error message that Windows System Restore failed?

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi

When I run Windows System Restore it fails with this error message

System Restore failed to replace the file (D:\Users\*******\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\qebcobkqbgbzfynfuwbof\placeholder.bat) with its original copy from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during restore. (0x80070780)

I have completed system recovery from an image without problem but on several occasions I have come up against this error when trying to correct a problem using system restore which would be easier to use if I could. I still have the problem if I run the system restore in safe mode with the same failour message

Any suggestions on allowing the restore to work

Richard

140 Replies 140

Ddog800
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Would just like to add that I'm having the exact same problem. A user installed a faulty driver this morning and the system won't boot. Trying to use system restore, but it fails with this exact same error:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

System restore failed to replace the file (C:\Users\<user>\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\qebcobkqbgbzfynfuwbof\placeholder(2865).bat) with its original copy from the restore point.

An unspecified error occurred during the System Restore. (0x80070780)

Based on this issue and the OP's issue, it appears that Dropbox has effectively broken System Restore in Windows 10. This is defintely a bit ridiculous. Now, instead of a quick restore, I'm forced to rebuild this laptop, which will cause myself and the user to lose at least a day or more of productivity. Please look into this problem, guys!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about this @Ddog800  - have you given the suggestions listed in this thread a look?

Also, as this error message is coming from your Windows device, I'd suggest asking Microsoft directly as well.

In any case, please let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DeeRoche
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Are you kidding? Have you read this thread? I did a very comprehensive test.

There is no solution other than uninstalling your software.

You had me believe that you were working on this issue.  I see now that you were just trying to pat us on the head and say "there, there".

I'm out.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear you feel this way @DeeRoche - I wish I could help more. Unfortunately, without any additional information, I won't be able to.

Should you need to look further into this, please go ahead and log a ticket with our team providing the specifics of the affected device through the following page:

https://www.dropbox.com/support

If there's anything I can help with in the meantime, do let me know. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Unhappy999999
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am having this problem too. Very unhappy right now.

Unhappy999999
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This issue is not solved - the original author says so. Please get your developers to fix this. It's awful.

Unhappy999999
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Yeah, I am done too. Bye Dropbox.

coxlegal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I’ve got this same problem too. I found this thread right away when I googled the issue. And, so I’m really shocked that it sounds like Dropbox is incompatible with Window’s system restore. And, if I’m wrong, someone from Dropbox please step in and clarify.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for nudging me here @coxlegal.

Would it be OK if I reached out to your Dropbox associated email address to work on this together?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi Walter - this continues to be a problem - I have contacted dropbox support as you suggested previously with the details and received no reply

The error message I get is still the same as before

I only continue to use Dropbox as work uses it - and at work we have had the same issue of restore not working on other computers using Win 7 where dropbox is installed

The error message I get is on a Win 8.1 system is

System Restore failed to replace the file (D:\Users\*****\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\qebcobkqbgpbzfynfuwbof\placeholder.bat) with its original copy from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070780)

I have like other people on here deleted dropbox and all files and system restore works fine - so please dont ask us to contact Microsoft

Drive D has been disabled in system restore - and that made no difference. For information Drive D is a recovery drive partition

I have had to resort to making system images as a work around but this really isnt satisfactory

Why arent Dropbox developers looking at sorting this? My Dropbox contract renews in September - I will be looking elsewhere for the company if it isnt resolved

Richard

Need more support?