cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Move dropbox folder Win 10

error moving dropbox

VladBusca
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello

I get this error when trying to move dropbox folder from C to 😧 "some files can't be moved, please select a new location or close some open files and try again".

Tried this advice, didn't worked: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-messages/Unable-to-move-the-Dropbox-folder-as-some-files-can-t...

Thanks

Vlad

30 Replies 30

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about this @Aboqusai

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you forward me a screenshot of the problem as it's manifested on your end so I can have a further look into this for you? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Poka, sorry to hear about this.

I've moved your post under this thread so as to ping you with additional information on the issue you're having.

Could you take a look at my previous suggestions here on this thread and let me know if you're still facing the same issue? 

Thanks in advance!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

jimgarnish
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I've just bought a new Huawei laptop and the SSD is partitioned with a relatively small section assigned to the Windows folder (C:\) and a much larger section assigned for files (D:\).

By default, windows installs in C:\, which is too small and anyway, it makes more sense to have the Dropbox folder in D:\

I have gone through Preferences > sync to choose where the Dropbox folder should be  (D:\), but everytime, after clicking move and selecting D:\, I get the error message 'Some files can't be moved. Please select a new location or close some open files and try again.'

My Dropbox folder is empty for this purpose (although it wasn't when I first tried) and no files are in use.

Please help.

Thanks.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @jimgarnish - sorry to hear about this.

As I wanted to have a better view of the problem at hand, I just reached out to you via your Dropbox associated email address - take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

In the meantime, note that I moved your post under this thread so as to ping you with some suggestions other users found helpful. At your earliest convenience, you can take a look at those too. 

@Poka: I've also sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address so we can work on this together. Keep an eye out for my email and get back to me there so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools at my disposal.

Thank you both!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

nei a.
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

now I have the same issue, cannot move dropbox folder, geht the same error as in the screenshots above.
Is there a timeline by dropbox for a solution or is it still an unknown issue?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your report @nei a. - I just reached out to your Dropbox associated email address so we can have a further look into this.

Take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. Thank you!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

blakekhodges
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Running into a similar issue on Dropbox on web browser (Safari). Trying to move a folder from my root directory into a different folder. Getting the error: "Couldn’t move 1 item." (with the little red stop sign next to it). 

Don't see any further explanation or what can be done. Would love some help. Thanks! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Blake!

If I have to be honest, I'm not getting the same results on my end. Could you try clearing your browser's cache, a private browsing window or even a completely different browser merely to exclude browser specific issues? 

If the error you get is persistent across multiple browsers, please forward me a screenshot of it so I can further investigate. 

Thank you so much and welcome to the Community @blakekhodges

Walter
dropbox.com/support

NGU Admin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having this issue and have tried these suggestions. Unfortunately, the problem still remains and I am unable to move one shared folder into another shared folder. Prompt assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @NGU Admin; welcome aboard!

I'll be glad to look into this for you so could you please post a screenshot of the exact error you get so I can advise further?

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?