cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox desktop app scaling issues on Windows 10

Dropbox desktop app scaling issues on Windows 10

Greyfox
Helpful | Level 6

I would like to report Windows 10 display scaling issues with the Dropbox desktop app. At a windows display scaling value of 150% it is not possible to sign-in to the dektop client app, and it is not not possible to access the taskbar icon context menu via right clicking with mouse. 

I first noticed the issue while trying to use the Dropbox dektop app with an LG HDTV connected to my PC as a display. Windows automatically sets the recommended scaling to 150% on this display and causes the Dropbox desktop app to not function correctly. 

Please note the link below to screen recording:

https://youtu.be/4wOeMeJ8vYo

35 Replies 35

Greyfox
Helpful | Level 6

The comaptibility settings should work as I have just tested by downloading the latest dropbox (75.4.141) on windows 10 (1903) with a 1080p display and a display scaling value of 150%.

I am sorry, as the screenshots are still not viewable, ill just make a wild guess, perhaps instead of applying the scaling compatibility fix to the dropbox app shortcut, it might help applying the settings directly to the application executable file (dropbox.exe), the default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client . Another thought, it might help experimetning with other compatibility settings such as "Compatibility tab->Change settings for all users" and other scaling options other then system enhanced.

Again sorry if none of this helps, I hope the dropbox support team may get a chance to view your support request soon.

AndresMkesGames
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions, Greyfox, but unfortunately none of them worked. I still see the same scaling issues. My screenshots have been uploaded, however, so that's good.

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey @AndresMkesGames, thanks for the nudge & taking the time to compile this detailed description for me! If it’s not too much trouble, I’d like to have a closer look on what you’re describing us through our Official Support channel, so I’ve now made sure to create a ticket on our system on your behalf.

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you soon. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

AndresMkesGames
New member | Level 2

Thank you, Jane. I have replied to your ticket.

Hellfire2260
Explorer | Level 4

I am in the same boat. For me, even to sign in to dropbox I had to change the Resolution from 4k to 1920 and disable scaling, otherwise Dropbox app wouldn't even show up apart of the taskbar icon. 

It is definitely still broken in the latest (As of 14/10/2019) realease.

Hellfire2260
Explorer | Level 4

Actually, just disabling the scaling makes the app work again. With 150% scaling it is broken.

Actual version (Had to disable scaling to get it haha) I am running is v82.4.156.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Hellfire2260, thanks for checking in! 

I’m interested in having a second look at your findings if that’s okay with you. Could you include the steps for me to replicate in your next message if possible? Does it bear any resemblance to what others have reported incidentally? 

Any other detail &/or visual aid you could include on this discussion would be very helpful (omitting personal info please). Thanks again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Hellfire2260
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane,

It's pretty simple to replicate, don't think visual aids will be needed. Very much the same as what other posters said here.

To replicate simply do following:

1. Have a PC/Laptop with UHD or 4k screen and scaling set up to 150% (Display Settings -> Scale and layout)

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in the taskbar or start menu.

3. At this point you will see that nothing happens. As if your click had no effect or applciation was hang. There are no errors in Event viewer or anywhere else.

4. Change the scaling to 100% (Display Settings -> Scale and layout) and you'll see that the dropbox App is actually up -> It's just not showing at all with 150% scaling.

If that's not clear, please let me know, I can probably screen record a video of this behaviour when I am back home (I don't have 4k screens at work).

Thanks!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the detailed message @Hellfire2260  & please accept my apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you! 

Let me have a closer look on this matter through our Official Support channel. I’ve now sent you a brief message & once you reply back to me there, I’ll review your account specifics & we can discuss your options together. Please have a look at your inbox whenever you have a bit of spare time & I’ll check back with you asap. Thanks again!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

damienbutt
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

Was there ever a definitive solution to this problem???

I'm aware of the workaround by changing the DPI compatibility but it's not a proper fix.  It's now March of 2020 and I still have this problem.

It's been so long now that I can't actually remember the last time it worked properly but it definitely used to. It's started around the time the new "Dropbox App" thing launched. I remember that much as I enabled it as an early preview from my Business admin console. 

There has to be a solution without clean installing Windows, surely???

This is what I have tried so far:

1. Uninstall, restart and reinstall.
  2. Advanced uninstall, restart and reinstall.
  3. Advanced uninstall. Remove leftover Dropbox registry folders from Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node. Then restart and reinstall. 

None of them fixes the problem.

For reference, my main Windows 10 machine is a virtual machine running in Parallels Desktop 15.1.3. I have been using Parallels and this same VM for many years. As of today, it is running the latest Windows 10 updates.

I also have a second Mac which runs a Windows 10 virtual machine in Parallels, which I've also had for a number of years now. It exhibits the same problem.

I have also tried the following:

1. Creating a new local user account on the same machine. The problem is still there.
  2. Creating a new Windows 10 virtual machine in Parallels Desktop, installing the latest Windows 10 updates, then installing Dropbox. No problems there. All works lovely.
  3. Creating a new Windows 10 virtual machine in VMware Fusion, installing the latest Windows 10 updates, then installing Dropbox. No problems there. All works lovely.
  4. Creating a native Windows 10 partition with Bootcamp, installing the latest Windows 10 updates, then installing Dropbox. No problems there. All works lovely.

So what does this mean???  It suggests to me that the problem is something to do with an "older" installation of Windows 10 and Dropbox. Pre what date I don't know but if I create a new Windows 10 VM or native Windows 10 machine and the problem goes away.

I'm completely stumped and to have to do a clean install of Windows for something like this seems rather drastic. My gut feeling is that there is an old registry key or keys lingering around somewhere on both my machines that's affecting the DPI scaling. 

I have been on support chats two or three since the problem started, never coming to a solution other than to use the workaround.

Is there any update whatsoever?

D

Need more support?