cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to relink / sycning old dropbox folder to new setup dropbox?

How can I go about re-linking an existing Dropbox folder stored on a separate drive?

stashtvm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am reinstalling windows 7 and my old dropbox folder is on a seperate storage drive so hasn't been deleted by the instalation process. When I reinstall the dropbox software it wont let me use the old folder but creates a new folder and starts downloading all my files (0.5Tb). Do i have to delete all my files and download them again (I'd rather not) 

16 Replies 16

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @shadatalam, it’s my understanding that you’d like to go about on the inquiry described here & that’s why I moved your post under this thread; please correct me if I’m wrong. 

Please have a look at the pointers relayed on my message to the OP whenever you have a bit of spare time & let me know how this works for you or if you have further questions on your next message here. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

shadatalam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

You moved here it's not wrong. I need solution.
Just tell me please, how can I reconnect with my dropbox folder to newly setup dropbox.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood your request @shadatalam; just so as to ensure I’m following-up correctly, can you let me know whether you already have an existing Dropbox folder on your desktop? If so, would you like to link your existing one or re-install our app from scratch? Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

shadatalam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your quick response.

I am using windows 10 os 64bit. I have setup windows in "C" drive.
drobpox software also installed in "C" Drive

But my dropbox file saving in "D" Drive.

Due to my computer slow performance I want to re stup windows.
That means computer will be new and need to install dropbox again.

Problem start from here.........
When I finished to install dropbox then sycning files from begining. I want to just connect or link my "D'' drive dropbox folder.

I hope now you clear. if clear please solve this problem.

I am looking for your reply.

Thanks

Shadat

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood your request @shadatalam; just so as to ensure I’m following-up correctly, can you let me know whether you already have an existing Dropbox folder on your desktop? If so, would you like to link your existing one or re-install our app from scratch? Thanks!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I appreciate all the additional details you’ve sent me now @shadatalamKindly note that the steps relayed in the previous page should be helpful as long as the D:\ drive's contents on your desktop have remained the same. In other words, my suggestion would be re-initiating the installation, then navigating on your Advanced Settings, so as to choose your D:\ drive & the follow my advice on the “More Information” box. Would you mind giving those steps a go & let me know here if this doesn’t bring about the expected results or the process halts for you at a certain point?

Thanks again for your keeping in touch here & I’m looking forward to hearing back from with the outcome you Shadat! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Search4f
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Good morning
When I attempt to tell dropbox old folder it won’t let me tells me that folder already exists

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Good day to you too @Search4f, thanks for joining us here!

It sounds like you might be doing this with these steps through the desktop app preferences, is that right?

If so, you'll need to unlink your account from the desktop app and when you sign back in, you can click the "Advanced settings" option to choose the existing folder location.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?