cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File reverted to older version with no saved version history

Didn't Save, Need to Recover File

kevinstaake
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there. I'd been working on an Excel doc on desktop Dropbox and accidentally closed the program without saving. Now I've lost 4 hours of progress and can only restore to the version I last saved at 2pm yesterday. Isn't Dropbox supposed to autosave versions every few minutes? Please send help asap! Thank you!

21 Replies 21

Tamie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have already corresponded with someone from Dropbox, and they were not able to offer an explanation. But you are welcome to try again, Jane. I'd love to figure this out.

lisaw123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi guys,

I found my file. Here's how I figured it out:
The file I worked on was opened in a dropbox folder on my laptop.
The "save" icon in Word actually saved the changes to "One Drive" instead of the dropbox file.
So when I opened the file in dropbox, no edits were shown.
When I use the "open" function in Word to look for recent files, it shows the saved file in "One drive". From there I was able to retrieve the file I want with my edits made today.
Basically "One Dive" is stealing control over dropbox files (and from my friend's experience even files locally saved in other destinations)
I hope this info helps you and your tech department.

Best,

Lisa

Need more support?