cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Easy way to filter starred photos

Easy way to filter starred photos

jv18
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a ton of photos that I've gone through one by one and starred the ones I want to be able to move into a separate folder.  I now think that the "starring" exercise was useless.  How do I find a way to select these starred photos easily to get them into a place where they can be printed?

23 Replies 23

jdarais
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same use case as this, only I want to move the photos into a separate, shared folder to give others access on the web rather than printing.  Sadly, there's no efficient way to do this.  Without the ability to sort/filter on starred, or being able to see more than 5 starred files at a time on the home page, starring is useless.

Other features I can think of that would help in this scenario would be tagging files, but of course only if you could search, sort or filter on tags; or at least a move/copy menu option from the file preview.  But sadly, dropbox has none of these.  I have over 1000 photos to look through, and now I'm wondering why I thought dropbox was a good place to try to organize them.  A little better support for this type of scenario would go a long way!

jdarais
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As a follow-up from my last comment: for what it's worth, the dropbox desktop app seems to recognize when a file is moved, in which case it just moves the file on the server rather than re-uploading.  So, it's still reasonably efficient to just organize the files on your desktop, and dropbox will update to reflect the new file locations, though it would be nice to do it in the web app.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
👋 Hello to all posting us their thoughts & observations here! We take your feedback seriously & I understand the reasoning behind your request. Kindly note that you can achieve what you have in mind with our new desktop application, which introduces a new surface that makes it easier to view, organize, and share your files. 

I believe that this should address your request here, as using the new desktop app will allow you to add stars, pins, notes, lists, to-dos, @ mentions, and links to your files thus organizing your content more efficiently according to your needs & staying on top of priorities at all times. Following, it would be a good housekeeping practice to place the items/projects you’re mostly involved with on your file explorer on the left-hand side (i.e. under Starred Folders), just so as to keep them handy if you’re working on multiple projects simultaneously. 

Spoiler
img.png

Now, my advice should also be helpful in what you’re describing as well @jdarais, as our new desktop app works alongside Finder & you can use those interchangeably. While I've now noted down your comments in my report internally detailing how you’d like to utilize a similar functionality on our website, I’m wondering if you’ve had a chance to see whether my suggestion is what you’re looking for. 

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read through, I’m here to hear your thoughts on this; please let me know how you get on with my advice & I’ll do my best to touch-base with you soon! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jdarais
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Jane, thanks for the info about the new desktop app.  I just enabled it, and it looks like pinning is much closer to what I've been hoping starring would do.  Since the star feature is looking to be more focused around folders in the new desktop app, (starred folders show up in the left pane, and I haven't noticed anything new for starred files,) is there any plan to replace the star affordance in the Dropbox Preview page with one for pinning?  Then, I could pin pictures as I'm reviewing them right in the Preview page, which would be absolutely awesome.

Edit: On second thought, pinning seems more geared towards sticking a few things at the top of a folder rather than flagging them for organization purposes.  I was hoping I could multi-select pinned files, and do some action on them, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Starring may still be the concept I need for flagging files I want to move to another folder, in which case I'm back to my original request to allow the user to filter or sort by starred items, so it's easier to do bulk operations on a large number of starred files.

mezadri_m
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi. Has this issue been solved yet? It’s hard to believe that starred pictures still can’t be saved in a separate folder.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @mezadri_m, let me quickly re-phrase from my post above that currently Starred items are intended to surface & update on your Homepage, the Starred tab on your phone & on the Starred tab on the Dropbox desktop app. 

That being said, we’re also gathering similar input on current functionality. If you’d like to add your voice to the the feedback our team is submitting, please feel free to post us your request on the Share an Idea section on the Community. Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mattlikestapas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm here to voice my opinion with the others. Just went through almost 3,000 wedding photos, starring the ones we want to print, now to find there's no way to just bulk-select or move starred files into a new folder. Worthless! I'd expect this kind of thing from google but dropbox seemed to be a tier above thus far. Will definitely be rethinking my subscription. 

lyssjoyrob
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wait I really can't click a button to get all the pictures I just starred grouped together and moved to a separate folder???  I wish I had known that a few hours ago!  Any idea if this will be a feature?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lyssjoyrob, thanks for nudging us on this thread and for your feedback!

Our dev team is constantly working on implementing additional improvements, but we don't have a timeline to share. 

Although there isn't currently a direct way that you can find starred items and move them to a new or existing folder, you can always post any ideas you have on features you'd like to see in the future in our Share an idea section

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a shout. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

atlowry
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've found posts where people have wanted starred items to work like all other softwares (including gmail) since 2017 and it still hasn't been updates, so not likely to happen soon.

Need more support?