cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dropbox causing MAC desktop to freeze or slow down-I Mohave 10.14.3

Dropbox causing Mac desktop to freeze or slow down

LisaM1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Does anyone else get major slow down or freezing with rainbow wheels when dropbox is installed on Mac desktop using Mohave 10.14.3?

14 Replies 14

tw-smith
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't believe that dropbox should be concerned about which 'plan' their customers are on, when their application is causes macbooks and imacs to crash.  This is one of those, 'get in front of it problems'.

Thank you for any help you can provide us.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @tw-smith, sorry to hear that you're also having trouble installing the desktop app. 

As a first step and to ensure troubleshooting, could you please confirm for me if you've tried installing the latest stable version of the desktop app (79.4.143)?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tristanl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

There's an issue with Dropbox Mac where I am unable to use any finder/file system files without getting a spinning beach ball for 20 seconds. It makes my computer unusable.

I've done a bit of investigation, and if I pause syncing the problem persists, but if I quit the client in the menu bar the problem goes away. It comes back again as soon as I re-launch

It's the same (unresolved) issue mentioned here (ages ago):

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/dropbox-causing-MAC-desktop-to-freeze-...

I'm on Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)

Dropbox Mac v96.4.172

Also, support sucks. I clicked "Contact support" so many times before realising I can't contact support. Don't call it "Contact Us" if you don't let me contact you!!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @tristanl, thanks for nudging us on the Dropbox Community. At first, I moved your post to this thread, just to keep troubleshooting consistent. 

Since you've checked that this stops after quitting the desktop app - great work with the investigation by the way! - could you make sure that you don't have any pending updates on your OS? 

Could you also see how many files you have in your Dropbox folder by right-clicking and having a look at the Dropbox folder's Get info window? 

Let me know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tristanl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I opened a support request, which was merged to another thread, and i'm not able to reply to the thread i was merged into.

What I would like in order of preference:

1. Mac client that doens't freeze my machine
2. Ability to contact support

3. If I can't contact support, and have to launch a community post instead, actual help rather than closing thread and merging it into one started over a year ago that still isn't resolved, presumably to help with KPIs on support threads.
4. The unresolved thread from over a year ago to not have a "solution" posted by dropbox staff, because as mentioned further down the thread, it's not been resolved, and following that dropbox staff said they would remove the "solution" tag.

5. Locations and Labels in the discussion threads that actually allow users to express their problems - if the only support is discussions, and the only discussion topics are all rosy, it makes it hard to figure out even where to begin!

Just don't make it so hard 😞

Need more support?