cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox apps asks for root password to work properly every time I start Mac OS

Why Dropbox asks for a computer password upon each startup? (macOS HSierra, Mohave)

Alexander M.29
Explorer | Level 4

Hello! 

Can someont please clarify why each time Dropbox App starts it askes for my computer login and password? Why does it even NEED my computer password? 

See the screeenshot in attach. It's in Russian, but it tells us to enter my computer login and password "for Dropbox app to fuction properly". While it functions properly even without it! Official support told me that "Dropbox app never asks for computer password" which made me even more suspicious.

Yes, I _AM_ aware of the former problem when Dropbox App just forgot to ask about "Accessibility Access". But I provided this access manually in Security preferences tab -> Accessibility an Dropbox App still asks for my computer password upon startup! Further more, if you DO provide this password - next time it will only ask for permission to "Accessibility"  instead of asking password again. I wonder where Dropbox App stores my very main password! 

Just WTF24412333.png

14 Replies 14

cob24
Explorer | Level 3

I have no open ticket yet, so feel welcomed to write to the e-mail address associated with this account.

Regards.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

I've reached out to your email address @cob24, so please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

vmitchell
New member | Level 2

9/10/2019

I am removing DropBox from all my Apple devices due the simple reason that this is the only app I have that insists on asking for my SYSTEM password. Giving my system password essentially grants access to everything on my Mac. Dropbox has not exhibited this behavior until recently, and it is both annoying and scary. I am therefore moving my files to icloud [security is great, but otherwise not too friendly], instead of placing my computer data at risk when it has not been necessary until now.

Alexander M.29
Explorer | Level 4

Heh! I distinguised this problem 1,5 years ago.

Seems, nothing changed since that - NSA still wants full acces to our machines. 

I intend to move to another cloud too, but just  too lazy for that.  Providing main system password for Dropbox is too much of a breach in my personal privacy to my mind. God f_k NSA!

I would welcome advice of another could storage with comparable compatibility with different services.

JamesRothschild
Explorer | Level 3

me too ... no ansa / resolution from dropbox

Need more support?