cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: EXCEL File Will Not Open

Why do I get a "Sorry, we could not find your file. Is it possible it was moved, renamed...?' error?

PKS2000
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Error message states "Sorry, we could not find <filename>.  Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?"

It has not been moved, renamed or deleted.  Not all Excel files are affected but this is not the first time this has happened. I have 3 computers and all of them have this issue.  I'm using Office 365 on all 3 computers.  

I would like to get a response from someone who has had this issue and how it was solved. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Phil 

23 Replies 23

VictG_71
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, it is due to naming.
It works now.

alyssa2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Has anyone else found a solution other than file name length for this?  My file no longer exists and is not in the folder.  I also have file names longer than the one listed in that folder.  While I have tried adding a file back into that folder with the same name, eliminating folders within the path, nothing has worked and I continue to receive the same path even though that path no longer exists at all.  

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Based on your description, I'd search for deleted files if I were in your shoes, since this file no longer exists in the folder @alyssa2

Another place you could look for more information is your events page where all adds, edits and deletes are logged normally. 

Let me know what you find please!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MountainExe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks!!!!  It worked.  I did "save as" with a short file name and it opened right up!!  Saved me about 3 hours of redo work!  Thank you again!  Much appreciation.

AliTaha
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sanchez did not provide a solution, please remove his reply as one. The solution was the one posted by STEVEDELL248 - Thanks 

Liz-Ideate
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

We have the same issue - but it doesn't appear to be related to path length as I can resave the file with a longer name and he can open it fine. 

Liz-Ideate
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had this exact issue.  It was not the 3rd party software or the path name. This was what finally resolved it: 

"If you’re in a Dropbox Business team, you most likely have Smart Sync enabled.   If this is true, the files you're trying to open could be marked as online-only, and there isn’t enough time for the file to download from the site to open it, which could result in this error.

Mark the files as local.

SaberDiego
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, this was a big help!  The file was fine, but the only problem was its path name was too long.

RaymondElixer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks so much. It was weird. I could see the file and I could download it and open the downloaded file but I could open the original file even though it synced. 

MMafi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thankyou, this solved my problem!

Need more support?