cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to remove dropbox icon from taskbar

How to remove dropbox icon from taskbar

DeerUser69
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How to remove dropbox icon from taskbar without closing app? In prefernces I have choosen Dropbox icon>never show, yet it is there.

13 Replies 13

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @toddynho,

If you don't want to have the Dropbox icon appear in your dock you can disable it from appearing when Dropbox starts with these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..." from the menu.
  4. On the "General" tab, uncheck the option to "Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox".

If the icon is currently in your dock, you can Command+click the icon and choose to "Quit". Closing this won't prevent syncing occurring in the background, and you should still see the small Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

I hope this helps - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

toddynho
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! First of all, thank you the answer

that's not a solution to the "problem" a mentioned earlier.. you are saying to me to "CLOSE THE APP" that will stop the syncronize. Instead hide the icon at systray. you guys should try to implement into explorer folder the real status of files. Like a progress bar for each file or a statusbar for the "dropbox folder"... keep as a windows service and a folder updating in background.

like i said, i don't want the icon, but i want the folder be update with the dropbox service.

Have a nice day

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @toddynho,

Apologies for the misunderstanding there as I believed you were referring to the icon appearing in the dock and not the small Dropbox icon near the system tray's clock display. 

With the steps mentioned above it wouldn't stop syncing, however this doesn't apply to what you're referring to in this case. I'll be happy to pass along your comments for review to the team regarding having the option for this to not show.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nothanks9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You mean like every single other piece of useful software?

Need more support?