cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual Desktop app won't open

Actual Desktop app won't open

jakryk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I need to get the actual app to open so I can change the settings (because even though I select "never for this device" for downloading photos, I get the stupid Download Photos window Every Friggin TIME I connect my phone to my computer). The problem is that when I 'open' the Dropbox app on my computer all it does is take me to the Dropbox files on my computer. The app itself never opens. I just installed the latest update and it still doesn't open the actual app.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
It’s great that we’ve now ruled out this being attributed to a syncing issue, so let’s follow a different path towards resolution @jakryk

Taking it from where we’ve already left off, it looks like you’ve been able to locate the Dropbox icon, Dropbox is syncing your files across devices & the issue primarily lies on the pop-up message you’re seeing upon connecting your phone, where your option wouldn’t stick. Please let me know if I’ve missed anything along the way. 

Just as a brief follow-up to @Elixir's pointers, kindly note that if you’re working on a Windows 10 device, you should be able to disable Camera Uploads by changing your Autoplay settings, as below: 

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen and then click on the right hand side of your profile picture in the Notifications panel.
• Select "Preferences" & then Select the “Import” tab.
• In the window that appears, click on "Change AutoPlay Settings".
• In the AutoPlay settings, scroll down and choose the camera you want to change settings for. It will likely have "Import pictures and video using Dropbox" as the default.
• Click on the drop-down menu and change the option accordingly. 

Please let me know if you had adjusted this setting previously &/or the results &I'll follow-up with you soon. Thnks again for keeping in touch with us! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @jakryk, thanks for checking in with us! 

Let’s start off with the basics & we can move on to specifics based on your findings. I’d appreciate it if you could let me know of the details below, just so as to ensure we’re aligned: 

• For starters, are you working on a Mac or a pc? If so, can you let me a bit more detail on your system specifications if that’s okay with you? 
  • Following, can you make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your desktop you’ve made all OS updates & it’s syncing correctly on your menu bar/system tray? Once you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon, it should display a message. What does it read for you? 
  • Have you by any chance followed any of the quick troubleshooting steps on this video (eg. quitting & restarting/rebooting your device)? 

Would you mind giving my suggestions a go whenever you have a minute & let me know here whether this does the trick or what you’ve found out along the way? Thanks & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

jakryk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm on a PC running Windows 10 Version 1903 Build 18362.418, 64 bit. I regularily install new updates as available.

I have 8 GB RAM and definately have more than 1 GB available disk space.

I have DropBox 83.4.152 and it's up to date.

My files are syncing with no problem. I can see them on my phone DropBox app. I have restarted my computer.

If I uninstall DropBox and reistall it would I lose all my DropBox files? It's one thing I've thought of doing but I don't want to lose my files.

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @jakryk, When you plug in a particular device, and select Never for this device, Dropbox should remember that device and not prompt again next time. If that does not happen, you may disable the Camera Uploads from your PC. To disable Camera Uploads, go to the settings. Click the Dropbox icon on Windows taskbar tray > Click the Accont/settings icon > Choose Preferences... I am on a Mac, so I am attaching an old Windows screenshot: 

Untitled.png

In the current version, you may see your account/profile photo instead of the gear icon. 

The go to the Import tab, and uncheck the Enable camera uploads. This should stop the import photos prompt. 

By uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox app, you won't lose your data.

jakryk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ok, tried that.  It says Galaxy s10e (don't import). It still asks me if I want to import pictures every time I dock the phone.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
It’s great that we’ve now ruled out this being attributed to a syncing issue, so let’s follow a different path towards resolution @jakryk

Taking it from where we’ve already left off, it looks like you’ve been able to locate the Dropbox icon, Dropbox is syncing your files across devices & the issue primarily lies on the pop-up message you’re seeing upon connecting your phone, where your option wouldn’t stick. Please let me know if I’ve missed anything along the way. 

Just as a brief follow-up to @Elixir's pointers, kindly note that if you’re working on a Windows 10 device, you should be able to disable Camera Uploads by changing your Autoplay settings, as below: 

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen and then click on the right hand side of your profile picture in the Notifications panel.
• Select "Preferences" & then Select the “Import” tab.
• In the window that appears, click on "Change AutoPlay Settings".
• In the AutoPlay settings, scroll down and choose the camera you want to change settings for. It will likely have "Import pictures and video using Dropbox" as the default.
• Click on the drop-down menu and change the option accordingly. 

Please let me know if you had adjusted this setting previously &/or the results &I'll follow-up with you soon. Thnks again for keeping in touch with us! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

jakryk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I disabled all the Autoplay settings and that seems to have worked. Thank you!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

🤹🏽‍:female_sign:  Perfect @jakryk, happy to hear we got this sorted together. Have a lovely week ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

ATKDG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I JUST DLd the Desktop app and

rebooted and the app won't start with the DBx icon.

Only opens file explorer like usual.

I Preferences, i don't get a choice to start thedesktop app.

I'm on 85.4.155

Win 10  

ATKDG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Fiona Dropbox Staff
    egleh Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropbox Staff