cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Blue Screen of Death on Win10

Blue Screen of Death on Win10

FadedPoppy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Good morning.

Apologies for the very vague question.  We are running Dropbox on 2 Win10 PCs.  One runs absolutely fine but, on the other, it will run for maybe 30 seconds and then cause the PC to crash with a Blue Screen of Death.

Could you provide any advice on how I can go about determining what the conflict is that causes this to occur please?

If it's any help, Dropbox will not launch automatically on that PC - it must always be executed manually even though it's setup to launch on Computer start in the Dropbox settings.

Without Dropbox running the PC runs perfectly.

There are a great deal of applications installed on that PC so I'm reluctant to wipe & reinstall everything if there's a solution out there that doesn't require doing so.

This PC also experiences the issue of the browser not refreshing as described in this post here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Missing-files-folders/Webpage-folder-not-refresh/m-p/322934#M15542.  Chrome auto updates so that shouldn't be the issue.  I'll follow the other suggestions in that post to see if I can resolve that issue.  It seems strange, and probably just coincidence, that this one PC suffers from these two problems but it may be useful for you to know.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Jason.

117 Replies 117

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Thayer & @Duckuser, thanks for the nudge! 

Just as a point of reference, I’m also following this thread, where some of your fellow Community members have reported that they got a similar discrepancy fixed upon re-installing the latest desktop app using the Offline installer→ (Stable Build 83.4.152). 

Can you confirm that you’ve been working on this version, or update to see if this gets the issue sorted for you? 

If you’ve already tried that, could you let me know here, as we’ll need to further troubleshoot through ticket? 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next update! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Duckuser
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jane, The current installed version is 83.4.152, I did not update it. It updated automattically. 

I tried downloading a new version from my online dashboard but once the installation completed the laptop crashed again. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for pinging me back here @Duckuser; I’ve just sent you a brief email, in order to investigate what's the culprit based on the info we can see on our tools. 

Please have a look at your inbox whenever you have some spare time! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

sncooper_work
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue, only on my corporate laptop, works fine on personal laptop.

PeterDBU
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Jane Is there any update on a resolution to this issue at all?

Having the same issue on my Corporate laptop.

laptop reliably crashes as soon as dropbox connects.
only found out because other people in the organisation were having the same issues.

Originally I downloaded the latest version of Dropbox off the website.  
Then after finding this thread I downloaded the reccomended "stable" version (83.4.152) but still has the same issues.

Powershell tells me I am running windows version 10.0.17763

Edit:
Reading the other thread, looks like there is a high correlation with this issue and coprorate notebooks   
(I have a HP Elitebook)  

Peresonally I am running Mcafee antivirus which cannot be uninstalled or disabled.

I get a combination of KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION
and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA errors

Keen for an update on this as dropbox is currently unusable

blueface123
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue as well on a corporate computer. It will blue screen every single time.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @sncooper_work, @PeterDBU  & blueface123, thanks for reporting! 

I’d like to submit you reports to our higher-level technicians in form of a question. Would it be okay if I created a ticket on our system for each request separately? 

Please let me know if you have a bit of time to work on that with me. Thanks again!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

PeterDBU
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I should be able to provide some details.

Feel free to create a ticket on my behalf and I will attempt to help out

sncooper
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Same here - please open a ticket and I will try to help.

SonilGomes
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I noticed a new and improved (except it is not) Dropbox suddenly on my system, and it is actually a downgrade in terms of functionality for me. I need to extract myself from Dropbox. Any viable alternative? Should I just start learning to use Google Drive for my Dropbox needs? I have loved Dropbox, until now, sigh. The main thing is I have kept a few 7zip encrypted documents in Dropbox (password list, financial spreadsheet), and I would just click the Dropbox icon on my Windows 10 taskbar, choose the file, choose to open it with 7-zip but not Dropbox lost that ability, not it only has Open with 7-zip Console which does not work the way it should with my Dropbox encrypted files.

Need more support?