cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I see which files are causing sync errors via my Dropbox desktop app?

Can I see which files are causing sync errors via my Dropbox desktop app?

Explorer | Level 4

Is there a way to show all Sync errors in Dropbox?  I was browsing through my files and saw a file with a red cross on it, and after inspection it seemed it wasn't syncing because of an emoji in the filename.

This got me thinking -  how many other files do I have that currently aren't synced because of this reason? Dropbox never displayed that file was unsynced and I suspect it was unsynced for many months.

I have hundreds of thousands of files and folders, so manually going through them isn't an option I'd want to even entertain.

Thanks

15 Replies 15

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hello @582374893!.

Happy to answer to your first question in our Community. Welcome. 

Clicking the Dropbox icon on your system tray should give you the option to see any syncing issues. Clicking there should give you exact file/folder names pointing to the problem. :wink:s_9CE35B45543E8B0694A4A9CD2A6E9C88045549BEDC58CB2B38FE9B4A84288351_1547235164115_Screen+Shot+2019-01-11+at+10.29.48+AM.png

Here is how this will look..s_9CE35B45543E8B0694A4A9CD2A6E9C88045549BEDC58CB2B38FE9B4A84288351_1547235037565_Screen+Shot+2019-01-11+at+10.30.39+AM.pngLet me know all your feedback about this! :grin:

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Your screenshots show a solution for MacOS, however, I am on Windows and I see no such option

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Fiona,

There is discrepancies in Linux, also. On following screenshot is your post above in background and my menu - on foreground:изображение.png

Explorer | Level 4

Indeed, the Windows menu looks like this for me 

(And yes, I currently have unsynced files)

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear this functionality does not appear for your OS.

Another way to find files that could be causing problems with syncing is checking for files /folders with incompatible characters.

:dividers: Check out a list of these characters

If this is the problem, renaming the files/folders will be enough to solve this and syncing will be completed successfully. :white_check_mark:

If not, I will be right here to look into this for you. :nerd:

Keep us posted!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@582374893 wrote:

Is there a way to show all Sync errors in Dropbox?  I was browsing through my files and saw a file with a red cross on it, and after inspection it seemed it wasn't syncing because of an emoji in the filename.

@Fiona wrote:

:dividers: Check out a list of these characters

Hi @Fiona,

On the page, you refer to, can be seen potential issues some symbols could cause. The issue here is symbols which prevent syncing entirely (i.e. file is not residing in Dropbox cloud). So your proposal in inapplicable! Increasing the level of a related proposal would be more helpful (i.e. full Unicode Support, not partial). :wink:

Hope this gives right direction.

PS: About different menu views: More than clear - BUG!

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Not having this option might mean updates have not gone through. 

Clarifying what the bad character files can cause, the article, offered above, states:

" Files with a bad filename can sync to dropbox.com, but might not appear in the Dropbox folder on your computer, or work properly on incompatible operating systems. " 

This means the file might even "make it" to the local Dropbox folder and report syncing issues. 

Awaiting for 582374893's response to troubleshoot and investigate this case more. 

woman detective

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Fiona wrote:

" Files with a bad filename can sync to dropbox.com, but might not appear in the Dropbox folder on your computer, or work properly on incompatible operating systems. " 

woman detective

Hi @Fiona,

I really like your enthusiasm (also your icon above 👍), but again read carefully the text you cite above. :wink: More precisely "Files with a bad filename can sync to dropbox.com"! Can you name a file (or folder on your opinion) as "Hello👍Folder😎Fans"? Just copy the name in quotes and paste in as a file/folder name (somewhere in Dropbox directory). Is everything syncing properly?! Let's check not only talk! :wink: So, is the new file or folder, just named, appear in dropbox.com?!

Hope this introduces some clarity.

PS: Are you saying that @Greg K. "declare", by error, symbolset is restricted and passes it as a feature request? :thinking:

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

It's true I am a Dropbox enthusiast.:grinning:

The important part of the sentences, I quoted from our Help center though, is the part where the article explains that these characters might not sync at all or might sync and not work properly on incompatible operating systems..  

This is where I was going with this. Apologies if I have created any confusion with quoting this article. I should have just phrased this in my own words. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?