cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously slow upload speeds

Ridiculously slow upload speeds

merk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've tried uploading through the website and using the windows app.  In both cases I'm lucky if i get 1/100 of what my actual upload limit is. I'm trying to upload about 4gb worth of files and it's saying its going to take 2+ days because it's uploading at 20kbps. Even comcast is faster then this.

I've already set the app to use unlimited bandwith and it hasn't helped. Dropbox is pretty easy to use, but if this is the fastest I can upload, dropbox is going to get dropped.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

merk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I think I found a solution for myself. I noticed that on my laptop, on the same network as my PC, even if connected via wifi, i was getting faster speeds. Did some googling and I found a network setting that when i adjusted it, improved my network speeds overall.

If you open a command prompt with admin priviledges, run the command

netsh interface tcp dump 

is autotuninglevel=disabled? if so try this

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

then try uploading or downloading and see if you get better results.

View solution in original post

86 Replies 86

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @merk

Thanks for your feedback about this. 

What is your internet speed? This link will test your ISP connection speed:
http://www.speedtest.net

What version of the desktop app you are using? 

You may the following for your browser uploads:

1. Clear your browser's cache.
  2. Try Incognito Mode or Private Browsing mode.
  3. Restore your browser to its default settings and disable any browser plugins. The issue you're experiencing may be the result of a security setting or a plugin that you have installed on your browser.

4. Use a different browser like Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Chrome.

Hope this helps with the website and I will be waiting for your response to see what we could do for your desktop app uploads. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

C L B.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here. Just started recently. Has the OP found a solution? I see same problem on three PCs, connected to different high-speed networks. Network speed is not the problem, and I'm talking about regular syncing, not browser-based uploads. The problem is dropbox. Dropbox reports speeds like 1kB/s.

merk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Nope no solution. nothing dropbox support suggested helped. I actually have my ISP coming out tomorrow to do some work. figured I'd wait for that to finish before pursuing this any further. Although nothing they are going to do is going to help since my current dropbox upload speeds are already way slower then what I currently get from my ISP. 

I like dropbox in that it's pretty easy to use and a lot of people are familiar with it. But honestly if they can't fix their upload issue, I'm going to cancel and look for something else. 

merk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I did some additional testing. The speeds I get with speedtest.net vary depending on what browser i use. But the max speeds are 600-700mbps up and down. 

The speeds I get with dropbox, regardless of what browser i use or if i use the desktop app, always top out at around 30mbps. So, basically 5% of my maximum speed. And i get the same speeds when downloading as well.

I'd really like to get this resolved since aside from these speed issues I'm happy with dropbox. But if this can't be resolved, I'm going to look for another service to replace dropbox. There's no point in paying for 2 TB of storage space if it's too slow to actually make use of the space.

For comparison, I uploaded a 1gb video file to my google drive - that went over 10x faster, it was uploading at 300-400mbps.  Dropbox has better pricing, but I'd switch to google if the upload speeds with dropbox can't be resolved.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey peeps, thanks for your updates here!

I'd be more than happy to look into this with you both @merk and @C L B.!

If you haven't already @C L B., can you check the bandwidth settings within the desktop app preferences to see if you have those limited at all?

If that doesn't seem to do the trick, can you both let me know if I can reach out the emails linked with your profiles here to look into this more?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

merk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes you can reach me via the email associated with my account here.

Thanks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I was able to locate your open ticket in our Support channel and I've followed up with you there @merk.

Please check your inbox when you have the chance for my message.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

merk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Got your message and replied there. I'll continue this through email. And if we resolve it I'll try to remember to post a note here as well in case it helps anyone else.

auzhost
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I too have been experiencing very slow upload / Sync speeds for about the last two weeks or more.
I only use the Desktop App and prior to this issue developing I had the Bandwidth setting set at the default, I have since changed to Unlimited upload and back again to default and back again to unlimited. None of which change/help the issue.
The main file I'm having issues with is Quickbooks DB file.
The file used to sync, after closing Quickbooks at the most within 30 seconds. Now it starts out saying, for example, 2+ days, then 6 hours then after up to 5 minutes it's synced.

Also to When I try to open the file now, I have to Pause the Dropbox syncing before the file will open. On rare occasions, I have had this previously, but it's every time now.

File size is 142MB
Internet Connection is 100Mb Connection. Speedtest reports (today for example, but it's relatively typical) 26 Ping, 88 Down, 35 Up.

Dropbox has changed something, obviously a so-called update/improvement, which clearly has gove very wrong. I also am a paid subscriber but I really don't like this new BS that is going on, including the ridiculous price hike for features I'll never ever need.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    lady8jane New member | Level 2
    Nancy023 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?