cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

@Rob C.24 this is a bash shell command not zsh, which is the default. Many people prefer the old bash. Do this to change the default shell to Bash:

1. Open Terminal - see the title in the window? It says zsh right?

2. chsh -s /bin/bash 

3. It will ask for your password

4. Close Terminal window and reopen it - you should see "bash" in the title of the window now

5. Now enter this (all one line, just copy and paste it):

IFS=$'\n'; for path in `python -c $'import os\nimport json\nfor key, value in json.loads(open(os.path.expanduser("~/.dropbox/info.json")).read()).items():\n print value["path"].encode("utf-8")'`; do echo "$path"; xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "$path"; done

6. If you want to change it back to the default zsh after this is done, close the Terminal window, open a new Terminal window, and type chsh -s /bin/zsh. It will prompt again for your password, then close the Terminal window. Next time you will see zsh in the title!

Good luck!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

For temporary switch to bash shell (and not only), just run 'bash' command would be enough (no sudo, no turn forth and back). At the end just close you terminal and everything would be back. :wink:

michael f.60
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue since ugrading to Catalina. Only workaround I've found is to open dropbox on the web, then upload files/folders -- drag and drop to the favorites dropbox location doesn't work (springs back as described by others in this thread)...

pentagramwookie
Helpful | Level 5

IFS=$'\n'; for path in `python -c $'import os\nimport json\nfor key, value in json.loads(open(os.path.expanduser("~/.dropbox/info.json")).read()).items():\n print value["path"].encode("utf-8")'`; do echo "$path"; xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "$path"; done

in Terminal, that worked for me, thanks!!

berm2b
New member | Level 2

Was able to switch to bash but when I ran the main line I got the following message: "No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine" -- any ideas?

rkimmel
New member | Level 2

The proposed solution worked on one of my two machines.  I'll try it on the other later.

Mjfdc
New member | Level 2
I uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox and after a bit more fiddling things were back to normal. Must have been an issue with the Catalina upgrade but now it seems to be fine.

Martha R.9
Explorer | Level 3

I can´t drag folders from downloads on my laptop to dropbox, but I was able to do it by copying and pasting. Go figure.

Fotmasta
Helpful | Level 6

I was hoping the 10.15.3 update would fix it but I'm still not able to drag n drop onto Dropbbox in the sidebar.  Is this an Apple problem or a Dropbox problem? 

ChiDeb20
Explorer | Level 4

Same here. The only way that I can add files is to open a new finder window, switch to Dropbox, and then drag n drop that way. Nothing else works. Apple told me it was a Dropbox problem.

Need more support?