cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

ChiDeb20
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the troubleshooting. Is there an easier solution for those of us who are not programmers?

rkimmel
New member | Level 2

pentagramwookie's solution worked for me. No programming skills needed - just cut-and-paste the text from the post into a terminal window.  Someone else has already done the programming 🙂

flaviogaete
New member | Level 2

I'm also having the same issue. Please send updated info if there's a fix that I'm missing? Thx

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey peeps, thanks for your ongoing feedback on what did the trick for you, and sorry to hear that some of you are still having trouble with this. 

If you've already tried the workarounds proposed on this thread and you're running the stable version of the desktop app, could you submit a ticket to our Support team and let me know the ID (eg. #1234567) that gets created? 

Keep me posted - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

KOA1
Explorer | Level 3

Luscil,  As you requested, I've submitted the ticket below.  No fixes have worked .  Is Dropbox working on this? It has been a problem for months.

Ticket #10381720: DB: C'ant Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

berm2b
New member | Level 2

My ticket no. is: 10382024

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for submitting the tickets, @KOA1 and @berm2b!

I found them and have replied to you, so when you get the chance, please check your inbox and we'll go from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ChiDeb20
Explorer | Level 4

@Lusil wrote:

Hey peeps, thanks for your ongoing feedback on what did the trick for you, and sorry to hear that some of you are still having trouble with this. 

If you've already tried the workarounds proposed on this thread and you're running the stable version of the desktop app, could you submit a ticket to our Support team and let me know the ID (eg. #1234567) that gets created? 

Keep me posted - thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. I submitted a request months ago, when I first noticed it, and after sending a lot of information (a lot!), with screenshots, live troubleshooting, and more, they bounced me back here. I'll not do that again. Maybe someone else will have better luck. If you do, please share. Thanks again.

ChiDeb20
Explorer | Level 4

@pentagramwookie wrote:

IFS=$'\n'; for path in `python -c $'import os\nimport json\nfor key, value in json.loads(open(os.path.expanduser("~/.dropbox/info.json")).read()).items():\n print value["path"].encode("utf-8")'`; do echo "$path"; xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "$path"; done

in Terminal, that worked for me, thanks!!

Hi! I understand that your solution works. Can you walk us through your instructions, please?  I open Terminal, then what? Do I type "done" too? Thanks in advance for your help. I'm a novice at all this!

ChiDeb20
Explorer | Level 4

I have been working on this problem since last year. After many communications, I received the text below, offered FYI:

From the Dropbox Advanced Team:

"We are aware there are some issues with the Drag, and Drop functionality on Catalina. This should still work, but in order for this to work you will need to drag the file to Dropbox, and wait until the Dropbox folder open to allow it.
We logged this issue with our engineering team in the past. I have added your comments to that discussion.
This is a complex issue to solve - it’s going to take some time to solve correctly for all of our users.
I’ll continue to watch the team’s progress and make sure they are aware of how this affects you.
Let me know if you have any other questions, and I will be happy to help.
Thank you for contacting Dropbox support, and have a great day.
Regards, ..."

Need more support?