cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I replace a file but keep the same link? The link has already been shared with clients but I need to replace the version of the file.

Can I replace a file but keep the same link? The link has already been shared with clients but I need to replace the version of the file.

Vivier P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

If you replace the file with one named identically and in the same place, subsequent visitors will get the updated version.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

If you replace the file with one named identically and in the same place, subsequent visitors will get the updated version.

Vivier P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Richard - I`ll try it!

Vivier P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It worked perfectly - thank you.

Jesús A.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Is this still working that way? Now doesn't work. Each time you replace the file the former link isn't longer available.

Some specific configuration is needed?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Is this still working that way? Now doesn't work. Each time you replace the file the former link isn't longer available.

Someone else reported this earlier but I'm unable to reproduce it. I had a file with an existing link. I made a change to that file overwriting the existing one. The link remained active.

If that's not what you're seeing then you should open a ticket with Support so they can look into it.

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Jesús A.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yeah, confirmed, now it generates a new unique aleatory code for the same file in the same location, at least within the app for mac.

Maybe the new shared links policy broken this feature.

Thanks, i'll try with a ticket.

Tom K.37
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue where a new link is generated for the same file in the same location.  I'm replacing the file locally on my Mac and it's being sync'd by the Dropbox app.  I had been doing this for the past 18 months and the behavior changed sometime over the past week or two. 

Now this may be a Mac only issue.  I have a friend on the PC who says that the behavior has not changed for him.

Tom K.37
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

So my old script would delete the existing file and then copy a new file into it's place.  Apparently the delete is what's causing the link to change.  If you just copy the new file OVER the existing file, then the link does NOT change.

There is definitely a different behavior with Dropbox but now that I understand what's causing the change, it's no longer an issue for me.

Frank A.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem (PC) that a replaced file makes the old shared link invalid. This behaviour is new so Dropbox has changed something or it's a bug.
It needs only to copy a new version over the old version and the link becomes invalid.

So sharing of files and replace a version is not usable anymore.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rudra I. New member | Level 1
    Frank A.1 New member | Level 1
    Tom K.37 New member | Level 1
    Jesús A.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?