cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is re-syncing my files again?

Dropbox is re-syncing my files again?

Viqhaas M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Why on earth is this happening ?!? its resyncing everything again nothing has been changed why ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DOsinga
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I don't recall any changes to the OS etc. It didn't say re-indexing, it said updating and the number of files kept increasing. After one or two days it was still going like crazy.

I found online somewhere that I should delete filecache.dbx. I did that, restarted dropbox. Now it did re-index all files, but this only took a couple of hours. I've not had a problem since.

I think it would be nice if Dropbox would pay attention to this sort of thing in a more timely fashion for paying customers.

View solution in original post

114 Replies 114

Alastair B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem. One minute everything was synced and green and then suddenly everything was resyncing. Why is this happening?

Tom_H
Super User alumni
Go to solution

It may have been your client updated on the computer. Often when this occurs a reindex happens. What that is the client compares all the files to those on the server, making sure they are indeed on the client. It appears as a full upload is occurring, but its just sending small bits of comparison data and should finish relatively soon. Relative, depending on your internet speeds and how long you use the client etc.

Jeff K.39
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My dropbox is re-syncing. Why? I think I see from a previous post that this is different from a re-upload. But why does this happen?

Colin J.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have re-started my laptop after it has not been used for about two months.

Dropbox has downloaded the file list and is now downloading more than 80,000 files, my entire Dropbox folder. It's as though Dropbox does not recognise the files that are already on the laptop and downloads the entire folder, rather than just those files that have been created or amended since the last connection.

This is not the first time it has happened. It ties up the laptop for 15 - 20 hours doing it and I don't have time to wait.

Very frustrating and makes me think of abandoning Dropbox which, in every other respect, is an excellent service.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul D.37
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My entire Dropbox is re syncing !!! I added one file on my home PC and and when I go to work and login it is downloading all my files (from Dropbox) again!!  I have a presentation to do in 10 minutes and I cant access it!!!! I know that its probably just verifying that the files exist BUT that's going to take about 20-30 minutes at least.

Lance S.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have had this same problem for months now and have gotten no help from Dropbox support.  Has anyone figured this out??????

As long as the pc is on and Dropbox is running it seems fine, but if it reboots, goes in to sleep mode, etc.  Dropbox thinks it needs to resync ~20,000 files!!!

Maddening! 

Tracey M.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have just had exactly the same problem!! I was travelling for the week and my desktop off and was using my iPad to update files on dropbox...when I switch my desk top back on, it thinks it needs to resync everything and I've hardly changed anything!!!  Really frustrating!

Lance S.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have tried clearing the cache, etc. nothing seems to work!

Ben C.28
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here. It affects only one of three Dropbox Pro accounts in our office, but with all six PCs affected, re-syncing over 120,000 files on each machine, creating lots of conflicted copies where files have been edited during this giant re-sync.  We are now at 24 hours and counting, as I left all our PCs running overnight in the hope it would finish.  This is surely a bug and not normal Dropbox functionality.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Angela S.21 New member | Level 1
    Rob D.2 New member | Level 1
    Craig M.18 Helpful | Level 5
    Martin M.21 New member | Level 1
    Matt B.73 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?