cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access word docs or pdfs in two particular folders

Can't access word docs or pdfs in two particular folders

Alfred_the_Grape
Explorer | Level 3

I can't access word docs or pdfs in two particular folders in Dropbox.  None of the other numerous folders in dropbox are affected.

We have looked at permission levels to no avail.

Any solutions, please?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@Alfred_the_Grape wrote:

I can't access word docs or pdfs in two particular folders in Dropbox.  None of the other numerous folders in dropbox are affected.

You'll need to provide more information before anyone will know how to assist you.

Are you trying to open the files from the Dropbox folder on your computer or while using the Dropbox website? Are you getting an error message? If so, what is it? Provide a screenshot of the problem if you can. If you're opening files from the Dropbox folder on your computer, what's your operating system and what version of Dropbox are you running? If you're opening them from the website, have you cleared your browser's cache/browsing history or tried another browser (first step in troubleshooting anything browser related).

Alfred_the_Grape
Explorer | Level 3

Rich

Thanks for your response.  The Dropbox folders are via my computer as shared by about four people.

The screenshots are the error messages I get for (a) word and (b) pdf.  This only happens in two particular folders.  Issue affects me only.  

We have tried looking at the permissions box and all seems to be in order there.

Our IT guys say it is a Dropbox issue not a system one that they can fix.

2023-09-05 (1).png2023-09-05.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Alfred_the_Grape! Hope you’re doing well. 

Have you made sure that the desktop app’s running on your computer? If you click on the small arrow showing in your system tray (close to your clock settings), is there a small Dropbox icon showing? If yes, what’s the current app version and syncing status? 

Also, if you open your local Dropbox folder, do you see any syncing icons next to these folders you’re having trouble with?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Alfred_the_Grape
Explorer | Level 3

Nancy

Thanks!  There is no Dropbox icon in the 'show hidden icons' box, nor are there any signs of synchronizing issues next to those particular folders in question.

Thanks again.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Alfred_the_Grape, keep in mind that the errors don't seem to be Dropbox-related, but they are coming from the relative apps trying to access and open the files. 

Also, it seems that the app might not be currently running -since you can't locate the small Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi-. If the issue persists when the Dropbox app isn't running, it might not be linked with us. 

Can you do a quick re-install using this link? Also, are you able to access these particular files when you visit your account online? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Alfred_the_Grape Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?