cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't log in to Dropbox in the Android app

Can't log in to Dropbox in the Android app

banditan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,
I have Dropbox both on my PC and my Android phone - everything works great. Files are syncing and logon works fine.

Last week I got a new phone, and now I can't login to the android app anymore - I just get an error message "Wrong email or password".

I have tried:
- Change password. I logged in to dropbox via my pc, changed password, logged out and in again with the new password - everything works fine on the pc. Tried the same password (and of course email address) in the Android app...still error message "Wrong email or password".
- Uninstalled the app on my phone, and reinstalled it.  Still error message "Wrong email or password".
- Logged in to dropbox again on my pc and unlinked my previous phone. Uninstalled the android app on the phone, reinstalled it.  Still error message "Wrong email or password".

What should I do?

- Samsung S21 Ultra, Android v. 11, One UI v 3.1
- Dropbox for Android, ver 240.2.2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @banditan, welcome to our Community!

Do you have a free Basic Dropbox account? If so, can you check your security page, to make sure you don't already have 3 devices connected to your account?

If you only have 2 connected devices, can you please clear the Dropbox app cache from your device settings, restart the device and try again to see if that helps?

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @banditan, welcome to our Community!

Do you have a free Basic Dropbox account? If so, can you check your security page, to make sure you don't already have 3 devices connected to your account?

If you only have 2 connected devices, can you please clear the Dropbox app cache from your device settings, restart the device and try again to see if that helps?

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

banditan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,
Yes I'm on the free plan, and I had two connected devices (pc and previous phone). I unlinked the old phone so now I have only one connected device.

No unfortunately cleaning the cache didn't help 😭

This is what I did on the new phone:
- Settings / Apps / Dropbox / Storage / Clean cache
- Settings / Apps / Dropbox / Storage / Clean data (Maybe unneccessary but I thought "why not")
- Uninstall the app
- Restart the phone
- Download and install app again
- Tried to log in, but still the same error message

What do I try next?

Also I tried to get the app to send me a link to change password. But no email. I then tried the same procedure on the pc and then I received the email just as expected. And yes I verified that I used the same email in both occasions.
So there's something fishy in how the app is (not) working.

banditan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi again,

I made a factory reset on the phone and now everything works!

Thanks Hannah for your help.

Imanjafarzadeh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi
I had pretty much the same issue with the same kind of mobile phone.
I checked number of connected devices and it was 3, so I remove my old device and the rest is clear. Problem solved!
However, to me it sounds really weird that instead of receiving a very simple notification, I kept seeing kind of a crash in app, that was driving me nuts.

AgilityJeff
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Quick suggestion from a new user:

When the issue is that there is a limit to the number of devices that can be logged in to a FREE account, maybe it would be helpful (save time / build a better relationship) if the error said something about "Too many devices logged in to a free account" rather than spewing a vague and misleading error about an invalid email address.

Just sayin' ... a better UE because of a clear UI is far more likely to lead to an additional PAID account!

Griever_GF
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yeah! Removing the 3rd device helped, but abcense of notification and kinda "crash" on login is crazy! Looks like a bug.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Griever_GF New member | Level 2
    AgilityJeff New member | Level 2
    Imanjafarzadeh New member | Level 2
    banditan New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?