cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't move my Dropbox folder to another drive

Can't move my Dropbox folder to another drive

peterjj12346
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a Mac Pro running 10.11.6. I have five internal drives in my Mac Pro, all traditional Mac OS Journaled (etc.). I'm retiring one of my internal drives, one that my Dropbox files are stored on, so I'm trying to move the files from one internal drive to another, by using Preferences > Account > Dropbox location.

The original hard drive has 56GB available. The destination drive has 335GB available. My dropbox is about 16GB.

Whenever I do it, the progress bar continues (Moving Dropbox (x / 20060 files)) until close to the end, when I get an error message: "Error moving Dropbox. Unexpected errors ocurred. Your Dropbox is ok!"

I've tried it multiple times, and have also tried restarting the computer. I also tried simply copying it over manually (it copies fine). But if I do the manual copy, I don't know how to tell Dropbox to "bless" the new location.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey peterjj12346

Thanks for the swift reply! 

I was able to locate your open request and I can see that a colleague has followed-up, asking more details on the case, so that you proceed to resolution. Please check your inbox for their message and let me know if you can't find their reply. 

Cheers, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

If the other drive is an external drive, then its not supported to use it. If the other drive is an internal, then use Dropbox Client to do the moving

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Jeremy T.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

f the other drive is an external drive, then its not supported to use it. If the other drive is an internal, then use Dropbox Client to do the moving
https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

Is not the answer, read the question!!!! He's not asking about changing the location of stored files, he doesn't want the Dropbox Application stored on the C drive...

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Jeremy
where does it say "he doesn't want the Dropbox Application stored on the C drive... he is asking to install the Folder. I used the word move because I cannot foresee if he already has one on C. Thus move is the word I used

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

j w.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

So how DO you install dropbox to something other than C? I'm using an M.2 drive and want to keep installs to that drive to a minimum.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The application will always install to C. That cannot be changed. The data folder, however, can be placed on any other internal drive. Towards the end of the install process click the Advanced Options link.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The application need not reside on C:\program files\dropbox , but it does install there end of story.

So what you do is move it afterwards, creating a symlink folder back to that location, so the updater wont add it back there on you. As such leave it running from the symlink location so it doesnt know any better :-P.

Additionally you need to also move the %localappdata%\dropbox and symlink that folder back to where it was as the DB app is hardwired to use that location.

The actual DROPBOX folder should be moved to its new location via the DB app move folder option, and should not be symlinked.

j w.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Dave. Never thought about a symbolic link but you're right. I guess you could do that for pretty much any program.

Neil T.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Dave, that was useful to me too

Stefan M.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I Think it is easier to right click on the Dropbox Icon on right side of the activity field and when its open click on the gear Icon and choose preferences and then click on account. there do you have the move button where you can choose Another drive and create a new folder to store your Dropbox files.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mangi k. New member | Level 1
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Stefan M.1 New member | Level 1
    Neil T.2 New member | Level 1
    j w.13 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?