cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Desktop App Keeps On Closing

Dropbox Desktop App Keeps On Closing

sgclark
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi.

I have a 2015 iMac.  It is running Big Sur v 11.4.  I have the Dropbox Desktop app v 125.3.3463 installed on this machine.

For some reason, the Dropbox Desktop Sync app will not stay open.  It opens, starts to sync and then it crashes and keeps on cycling through this process.  I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Dropbox.  I've rebooted the iMac and nothing changes.  Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  Is it possible to revert Dropbox app to an earlier version or something?  Dropbox is critical to several of my workflows and not having it working on the Desktop app is a big problem.

Thanks

Stephen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sgclark
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi All,

Thank you all for your help on this item.  I have solved it.  The issue was a 'permissions' issue related to my iMac/computer.  I basically just dis-associated my iMac from my account and restarted the Dropbox app and it worked fine.  So we're all set!  Thanks again!

Stephen

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

That is actually a beta version, so, you could try installing a stable build from https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-124-4-4912/td-p/526212 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

sgclark
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for sharing the link to the 'stable' build. 

I cleared out and deleted the old install of the Dropbox app. 

I downloaded the 'stable' version from the links that you shared and then installed it - first the 'standard installer' and then the 'offline installer' version.  In each case, the behavior I have been seeing did not change.  The Dropbox app starts up and starts syncing, and then it crashes.  And it starts that cycle over.  And over. 

The other weird thing is that even though I installed the 124.4.4912 version via those 'stable' Download links you shared, the version on my desktop/computer after a few minutes seems to update itself to version 125.3.3463.  

Any other thoughts or suggestions?  

Thanks!

Stephen

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@sgclark wrote:

The other weird thing is that even though I installed the 124.4.4912 version via those 'stable' Download links you shared, the version on my desktop/computer after a few minutes seems to update itself to version 125.3.3463.  

You have the Early Releases option enabled on your account, which automatically upgrades you to the latest beta.

sgclark
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yup, that was the issue!  So the good news is that after turning that setting off, I was able to install the 124.4.4912 version of the Dropbox app!  

The bad news is that the behavior I've been seeing today/tonight is still happening even with the 'stable' version of the app,  Basically, the app opens, it starts to sync, and then it closes/crashes.  Wash. Rinse. Repeat.  It keeps on happening. 

I had to do a Time Machine restore on some files within the Dropbox folder (long story...I ran a Hazel script that renamed a ton of files and tried to back out of that mistake) a day or so ago.  I am wondering if something happened with that process that is screwing up the Dropbox app for some reason? 

Do you think talking to Apple would be helpful in any way?

Thanks

Stephen

sgclark
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi All,

Thank you all for your help on this item.  I have solved it.  The issue was a 'permissions' issue related to my iMac/computer.  I basically just dis-associated my iMac from my account and restarted the Dropbox app and it worked fine.  So we're all set!  Thanks again!

Stephen

themichaelbusch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can you please explain this a little more? It's driving me crazy it'll open for a few seconds then disappear again. Did you re-associate it with your mac once it worked properly? I don't want to lose the syncing from my computer. Thanks.

sgclark
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Yes. I went on to my account on Dropbox.com. I then went into preferences and deleted my iMac from my devices. I then went to my iMac desktop and reinstalled the Dropbox iMac desktop app. Logged in and everything synced.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sgclark Helpful | Level 6
    themichaelbusch New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?