cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Not working after restart: Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment.

Dropbox Not working after restart: Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment.

Domscillator
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have been experiencing a very frustrating issue with Dropbox the past few days.

Issue: After restarting my Mac Studio (MacOS 13.6.5), Dropbox always gets stuck with the message: 

Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 23.35.44.png

• No VPN
  • No Firewall
  • Home Network
  • Fully updated Dropbox

The thing that is baffling is that :

1. If you Quit and restart Dropbox it works immediately but if you restart the computer the issue appears again
  2. If you wait for a long time Dropbox eventually connects and syncs. But it takes a long time
  3. On the same computer, about a week ago, Dropbox was syncing instantly after reboot. 

I have tried already reinstalling and deleting the cache folder.

Is this a known issue that's going on at the moment>

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sam DBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update: we're rolling out a fix today that should resolve this issue. It's in Stable Build 197.4.7629.

As a reminder: the current workaround is to quit/close the Dropbox application and relaunch it.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

101 Replies 101

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Domscillator, I hope you're doing well!

Can you please let me know the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar?

Also, could you try unlinking and relinking your account through the app's preferences? Maybe that will do the trick.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kkkkkkirk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

exact same issue here, the only difference is I am constantly on VPN.

dropbox desktop app has been working fine on my PC for years and this started to happen just a couple days ago on both my personal PC and work PC.

have tried 1) turning off firewalls; 2) restart PC; 3) reinstall dropbox but no luck.

kolella
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

exact same issue on mine. MacBook pro M3 with Sonoma 14.4. It happens after a restart and after a long sleep. Only way to make it work again is by completely closing and reopening the desktop app v 194.4.6267

Oblique
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same issue - same config as Kolella

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone, have you already contacted the support team directly regarding this matter?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kolella
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've done it and the help I got was: "Okay. I can suggest an advanced reinstall of the application, this might help with the issue." I've already done a reinstall of the application deleting all of dropbox folders ... plist ... cache ... ~/Library/CloudStorage ... but support insists in sending me those advanced instructions by mail. I'm now waiting for the mail ...

kolella
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've reinstalled as per advanced instructions (https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall) and issue is still present.

Closing the dropbox app on the menu bar and reopening it solves the problem until next reboot

- if you have a Mac with apple silicon processor than don't download dropbox through the previous link because it download's intel version of the app but download from https://www.dropbox.com/desktop)

kolella
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've "solved" my problem with a small workaround. Disabled Dropbox startup item and created a Mac shortcut startup item that launches dropbox after a delay of 30 seconds.  I will wait for an app update to try dropbox's auto startup method again. I don't know if it's a dropbox bug but it is probably starting before internet connection is established and it's unable to reconnect on it's own

Domscillator
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

Dropbox version:

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 14.48.32.png

Yes, I've already tried unlinking and relinking. It didn't help. As someone mentioned previously, if I don't have Dropbox as log in item and launch it with a bit of delay after MacOS has launched, everything works. 

So it's not a VPN issue (I don't use VPN anyway), it seems Dropbox tries to find a connection straight away when MacOS boots and if the connection is not there, it stalls. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

powerfoot Explorer | Level 4
    Sam DBX Community Manager
    UUGG Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?