cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox iPad app is taking up 280GB of memory

Dropbox iPad app is taking up 280GB of memory

burgundywine
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

On my iPad, I have synced 206GB of files (Dropbox -> Gear -> Space used).  However, on Ipad Settings -> General -> Ipad Storage, Dropbox is taking up 280GB.  

In the past, I synced more files but I unsynced them to free up space.  But Dropbox is refusing to release the space back to iOS.

Any ideas, short of deleting dropbox and resyncing, which would take a very long time?

I have already tried downloading lots of movies in the TV app to create a memory shortage, which I hoped would cause Dropbox to release space.  Doesn’t work.   It seems that Dropbox is good is requesting storage, but once requested never seems to release it back to iOS.

Latest iOS and Dropbox version as of 29 March 2024

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

burgundywine
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear Hannah, thank you for replying over the holiday weekend.

No, I have only 200GB out of 1TB of my Dropbox files for offline access.  I’m travelling next week a lot and won’t have much connectivity.

I cleared the cache.  Dropbox appears to have cleared all my offline files as well (they mostly have a green downloaded icon, 10% have a yellow resync icon).  However, when I try to open a downloaded file, it is actually not downloaded.  It now says 955 out of 27272 files downloaded. 

I will need to keep Dropbox open and power connected till it all downloads again.  I estimate at my download speed of 5 megabytes per second (roughly 50 megabits per second) it will take 55 hours and I can’t really use my iPad during time.

The good news is that Dropbox size according to iOS has reduced to 85 GB.  It has released 200GB back to iOS.

I will report back when the re-sync is done.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @burgundywine.

The Dropbox app itself should definitely not take up so much space on your device.

Do you have all your Dropbox files available for offline access?

Can you tap on "account" > gear icon > "clear cache" and let me know if that helps?

Thanks.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

burgundywine
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear Hannah, thank you for replying over the holiday weekend.

No, I have only 200GB out of 1TB of my Dropbox files for offline access.  I’m travelling next week a lot and won’t have much connectivity.

I cleared the cache.  Dropbox appears to have cleared all my offline files as well (they mostly have a green downloaded icon, 10% have a yellow resync icon).  However, when I try to open a downloaded file, it is actually not downloaded.  It now says 955 out of 27272 files downloaded. 

I will need to keep Dropbox open and power connected till it all downloads again.  I estimate at my download speed of 5 megabytes per second (roughly 50 megabits per second) it will take 55 hours and I can’t really use my iPad during time.

The good news is that Dropbox size according to iOS has reduced to 85 GB.  It has released 200GB back to iOS.

I will report back when the re-sync is done.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @burgundywine, thanks for the update! 

Definitely keep us posted, we'll be waiting for your updates! 😎

Megan
dropbox.com/support

burgundywine
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OK, Dropbox has re-downloaded 200GB of files.  When you select Clear Cache, a warning box appears saying ‘your offline files will not be removed’.  This should read instead, ‘your list of offline files will not be removed, but they will be re-downloaded.’

In summary, I have recovered the unused space from Dropbox.  I didn’t have to delete the app and reinstall it, which would have meant specifying all the offline files again, which is a big plus.  But this work-around has the big minus in that it requires you to re-download all the files, which can take a very long time.

IMG_0142.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping us updated and for sharing your experience, @burgundywine!

I have passed your feedback along to our team.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    burgundywine Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?