cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox isn't syncing anymore after upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04

Dropbox isn't syncing anymore after upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04

MonikaE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I upgraded from Kubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 a little over a week ago. Since then Dropbox isn't syncing anymore. The icon in the task bar keeps switching between the network folder icon and the box icon (Dropbox logo), as if it were really busy up- or downloading something. But nothing actually goes up or down. (E.g. I verified that photos have been uploaded from my phone by checking on the web interface, but they don't come down to my PC. Likewise I created a new file on the PC and it does not show up on the web interface.) When clicking on the menu > "Recently changed files" there is nothing there in the submenu.

I have tried: Uninstalling Dropbox, deleting the settings folders .dropbox, .dropbox-dist and (in the Dropbox folder) .dropbox.cache, reinstalling from the Ubuntu repository, reinstalling from the *.deb file that can be downloaded from the Dropbox website (there was a dependency problem but this https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Unable-to-install-Dropbox-on-Ubuntu-20... helped with that), using apt purge, rebooting during the process, following https://help.dropbox.com/en-US/installs/advanced-reinstall, removing the device from the "Security" settings via the Dropbox website ... no change. The icon keeps blinking, nothing goes up or down.

What else can I try? Any logs I can look at?

19 Replies 19

MonikaE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
It's working again.
I ran ~/.dropbox-dist$ strace -f ./dropboxd.
It often showed ("Vorgang nicht zulässig" = "activity not allowed"):
[pid 8640] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/monika/Data/Dropbox/Dateien/programme/Videobearbeitung/software/otr-verwaltung3p/data/tools/intern-VirtualDub/wine/dosdevices/z:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.11.0-openjdk-amd64/legal/java.compiler", O_RDONLY|O_NOATIME|O_CLOEXEC|O_DIRECTORY) = -1 EPERM (Vorgang nicht zulässig) zu sehen
I moved the entire folder Videobearbeitung out of the Dropbox folder be on the safe side and restarted Dropbox.
Immediately things improved, a notification showed "90 files deleted from Dropbox", my husband's PC showed "9 files changed" for a shared folder and after a while the systray icon stopped blinking and just showed the box (without arrows).

(The weird thing is that I had deleted all local files at one point and Dropbox had downloaded them - including the offending one.)

The "echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p" probably also was part of the solution.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Monika, thanks for keeping us updated.

Happy to see that you were able to resolve this.

This info might also prove useful to other users who may come across this issue, so we really appreciate it.

Make sure to let us know if you need anything else!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

pierpiotr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi MonikaE,

I have the exact same problem stemming for the same background (upgrading from 18.04 to 20.04), but trying your solution here is what I get :

pier@pier-Buroo:~/.dropbox-dist$ ~/.dropbox-dist$ strace -f ./dropboxd.
bash: /home/pier/.dropbox-dist$: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

meaning: No such file or folder of this type

What did I do wrong ?

MonikaE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
The command is like this:
cd .dropbox-dist
strace -f ./dropboxd

pierpiotr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@MonikaEthanks,

But I get this :

Unable to monitor entire Dropbox folder hierarchy. Please run "echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p" and restart Dropbox to fix the problem.

I did as suggested but to no avail. Do you have an idea ?

MonikaE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Have a look at the file /etc/sysctl.conf. Is there an entry "fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000"? And no other entry with "fs.inotify.max_user_watches=..."?

pierpiotr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Here is what I have :

vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000
fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000

MonikaE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
One of the entries would be enough , but having two identical ones is probably not a problem.

Did you restart Dropbox afterwards?

Did the strace give you any “activity not allowed” errors, like it did for me?

pierpiotr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes I re-started dropbox,

The strace command returned no error.

MonikaE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Then your problem must be different from the one I had.

You can try moving all files to a folder outside the Dropbox folder, see if things start working and then move them back in little by little.
Need more support?