cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox stalls during install

Dropbox stalls during install

darklyndsea
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Long story short, all of my apps got wiped from my windows 10 PC and I'm reinstalling everything. Dropbox downloads fine, either the regular installer or the offline one, but it gets to "installing Dropbox" and it just stops completely. Eventually it says "The installer did not complete. Installation has been aborted." The message has a link "show me help for this issue" but that doesn't open. dbxsvc continues to run until stopped in the task manager, and while it's running the computer has some very strange problems, such as when i reboot i only get a black screen with graphical cursor (how does it even manage to do that through a reboot? i have no idea but it's very frustrating), and some system functions failing to open.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there, @darklyndsea, let's see what we can find together on this one! 

Have you by any chance rebooted your device? If I were you, I'd also try an advanced re-install and we can then take it from there. 

Keep me posted on the results. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there, @darklyndsea, let's see what we can find together on this one! 

Have you by any chance rebooted your device? If I were you, I'd also try an advanced re-install and we can then take it from there. 

Keep me posted on the results. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

darklyndsea
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I rebooted. I rebooted in clean mode (problem persisted). I rebooted in safe mode (no problem). I reinstalled Windows. There is currently no speck of Dropbox left on my computer, because every time I try to reinstall it, it breaks my computer. Advanced reinstall only has you change the location of the dropbox folder, so I don't think it would change anything. I could try installing it on a different drive, I guess?

darklyndsea
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

...Somehow, reinstalling worked this time. I literally did nothing different than the other dozen times I've tried in the past couple of weeks. I didn't even download a fresh installer or change the folder location. I'm very baffled, but very happy. Fingers crossed that it's a permanent solution!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @darklyndsea, glad to hear (or read in this case 😋) that this has been resolved!

However, if this happens again you know where to find me. Give me a shout if you need anything else. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?