cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox using 7 processes and 234 MB of memory

Dropbox using 7 processes and 234 MB of memory

DouglasInNewark
Explorer | Level 3

My question is similar to this one:  https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Why-are-7-versions-of-Dropbox-exe-running-on-... but in that question, the largest amount of memory used by any Dropbox process is 4.1 MB, and the total is 9.4 MB.

On my system, the Dropbox processes are (at the moment) using over 260 MB of memory.  That seems unreasonable to me.  My entire Dropbox folder is 872 MB, so the process memory is 30% the size of my Dropbox folder.

I shut down Dropbox, and immediately after restarting, it was using 276 MB.  Over the next 30 minutes, it first decreased to 260.6 MB, then increased to 261 MB, then 282 MB.

Here's a screen shot of Windows Task Manager showing the memory usage:

Dropbox processes using 282184 KB of memoryDropbox processes using 282184 KB of memory

My Dropbox version is 173.4.6706.

Is it normal for Dropbox processes to be using a quarter of a gigabyte of memory?

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DouglasInNewark, let's jump right into this!

As a first step, did you notice when this behavior started happening? Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the thread that you linked, such as restarting the device, and the app?

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DouglasInNewark
Explorer | Level 3

I just noticed it the day I posted the message.  I think I went into task manager to kill some process, and noticed seven Dropbox tasks, and all the memory they were using.

I rebooted Windows, and Dropbox immediately grabbed something over 220 MB.  I just restarted Dropbox.  One process immediately ran its memory usage up to 198 MB.  The next two biggest were about 10 and 20 MB.  By the time I finished typing those sentences, it was up to about 260 MB total.  So restarting Windows and Dropbox made no difference.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DouglasInNewark, can you let me know more, in regards to the app's syncing status currently? 

Is it up-to-date or is it maybe stuck syncing content? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

DouglasInNewark
Explorer | Level 3

When I right click on the icon in the system tray, at the bottom of the window that pops up, it says "Your files are up to date."

DouglasInNewark
Explorer | Level 3

Oops.  Browser gave me an error, so I posted reply again, but it actually had posted my first reply.  So, ignore this.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DouglasInNewark, this would be generally the amount of RAM and processes that Dropbox would use when running.

Could you clarify what OS you're currently running on your device?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DouglasInNewark
Explorer | Level 3

My OS is Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64-bit.

When you say "this would be generally the amount of RAM and processes that Dropbox would use when running", do you mean it's normal to use 260 MB of memory?

Milan Bachraty
New member | Level 2

Having the same issue for a long time and looking at the threads the dropbox team seem to be dancing around the issue.  Can the dropbox team come up with an update that doesnt hog the PC's memory and CPU.  Even Paused uses 650MB or RAM, 50% CPU on Win10 22H2.  Restarting makes no difference.  If Onedrive can do it with like 10MB ram why cant dropbox?  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Milan Bachraty New member | Level 2
    DouglasInNewark Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?