cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message: Cannot Start Dropbox

Error Message: Cannot Start Dropbox

TheKevinE
New member | Level 2

My OS is MacCatalina: I have NO idea how to resolve this but I've not been able to "Sync" Dropbox for a long time now, and additionally, due to this message I'm NOT able to work with Dropbox from FINDER, only via the Web interface which we all know is not really proper. This interface does not seem to allow attachments so this is the exact message I get with a YELLOW caution triangle in the upper left corner when I click on the Dropbox App and attempt to open from my laptop.

Title of Error Message: Couldn't start Dropbox

Body: This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error. For more information, click the help button below. Please contact Dropbox support with the following info for help. (Then there is a link and when I click it the MESS of coding below is what I get).

From Dropbox Link Provided: bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 125.4.3474
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 48
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 0838080c-e678-57e8-a12b-6b01e9eedff9
pid: 71367
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='TheKevinE', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Kevin E. West', pw_dir='/Users/TheKevinE', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='TheKevinE', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Kevin E. West', pw_dir='/Users/TheKevinE', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'TheKevinEadmin', 'TheKevinE', '_xcsbuildagent'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'TheKevinEadmin', 'TheKevinE', '_xcsbuildagent'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=80
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=80
HOME: '/Users/TheKevinE'
appdata: '/Users/TheKevinE/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/TheKevinE/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/TheKevinE/Dropbox (Your team)'
real_path='/Users/TheKevinE/Dropbox (Your team)'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/8v/n7h8bvqj0bl9s42qg91f5h980000gp/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/8v/n7h8bvqj0bl9s42qg91f5h980000gp/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 819, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6472, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 307, in _wrapped
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6005, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5932, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 163, in make_sync_engine
dropbox.sync_engine_boundary.exceptions.IncompleteMigrationException: /Users/TheKevinE/Dropbox (Your team)/.dropbox-relocate3640a06ba127

PLEASE ADVISE. I'm not IT ignorant but this is beyond me.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Error Message: Cannot Start Dropbox

Rich
Super User II

@TheKevinE wrote:

This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error.

Did you move or change your home folder or change the username you use on your computer? If so, you need to perform a complete reinstall of Dropbox. Refer to Stefanie's post in the following thread:

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@TheKevinE wrote:

This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error.

Did you move or change your home folder or change the username you use on your computer? If so, you need to perform a complete reinstall of Dropbox. Refer to Stefanie's post in the following thread:

TheKevinE
New member | Level 2

Awesome, thanks.

K

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TheKevinE New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?