cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error after a few seconds of running dropbox on Linux

Error after a few seconds of running dropbox on Linux

fredric1
New member | Level 2

I'm seeing an error a few seconds after running dropbox on a Samsung Chrombook running GalliumOS 3.1. I have tried installing the .deb file from the Dropbox install page, as well as compiling from source. My files start syncing, but the Dropbox Daemon fails after a few seconds with this error:

dropbox start -i
Starting Dropbox...dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/apex._apex.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/tornado.speedups.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/wrapt._wrappers.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/PyQt5.QtCore.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/PyQt5.QtGui.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
Dropbox isn't running!
Done!
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/fdorothy/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/PyQt5.QtDBus.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
RUST PANICKING -- "Subtracting durations failed" at "/rust/dropbox/moving_average/src/ewma.rs":100

Anyone run into this error? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Re: Error after a few seconds of running dropbox on Linux

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @fredric1, welcome to our Community and happy Friday!

I haven't come across this error message, but I guess it may have to do with your device's OS.

Can you check if it meets the system requirements as outlined here?

Since you're using a Chromebook, have you perhaps considered adding Dropbox to Google's Files app?

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

punk
New member | Level 2

Yes I have this problem as well (and have for the last few months). I have to restart Dropbox multiple times every time it crashes to get it to work

Details:

OS Arch Linux installed in a virtualbox environment within a Windows 10 Enterprise host on a Dell Laptop

I have not had this problem on other computers where Arch Linux is installed natively on the computer (rather than in a virtual environment)

newca12
New member | Level 2

On linux the correctness of CLOCK_MONOTONIC depends on the kernel, a workaround to fix this issue is to set only one CPU core in your virtual machine. The real fix would be to fix the virtual machine core or a workaround implemented in Dropbox client to deal with this issue. Till then using only one core is the only solution I have found. Hope this helps.

jfdzar
New member | Level 2

Hi

I am having the same issue in an Ubuntu 20 in a Virtual Machine.

Is there any work around found? I would like to avoid running it in just one CPU

Thanks!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jfdzar New member | Level 2
    newca12 New member | Level 2
    punk New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?