cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error on startup (permissions?) Dropbox won't start without admin mode

Error on startup (permissions?) Dropbox won't start without admin mode

Alexius321
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I receive the following error below when starting drobox. I tried to reinstall and it did not help, I also tried to add a rule for outgoing communication to windows firewall, did not help. When I start dropbox "as admin" it seems to be working fine.... itself it cannot start. Any ideas please? (I also checked the other answer on this forum and i'm  not using any beta it looks like).

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 175.4.5569
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 61
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: c0c4d920-05fb-4ecb-ad81-1085c83fd0c4
pid: 2496
cwd: 'C:\\WINDOWS\\SysWOW64'
real_path='C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: None
appdata: 'C:\\Users\\Alexi\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
real_path='C:\\Users\\Alexi\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
dropbox_path: 'D:\\Dropbox'
real_path='D:\\Dropbox'
mode=0o40555 uid=0 gid=0
sys_executable: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
mode=0o100777 uid=0 gid=0
trace.__file__: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\175.4.5569\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\175.4.5569\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
TMP: C:\Users\Alexi\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP: C:\Users\Alexi\AppData\Local\Temp
tempdir: 'C:\\Users\\Alexi\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
real_path='C:\\Users\\Alexi\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 828, in wrapper
File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 6476, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "desktop/dropbox/client/message_queue.py", line 306, in _wrapped
File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 6018, in _init_components_for_account
File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 5942, in create_sync_engine
File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.py", line 225, in make_sync_engine
File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.py", line 245, in __init__
File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.py", line 282, in __init__
File "desktop/dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.py", line 192, in __init__
File "desktop/dropbox/fs_api/lifecycle.py", line 192, in __init__
File "desktop/dropbox/fs_api/lifecycle.py", line 206, in _create_thin_client
File "desktop/dropbox/fs_api/fs_api_adapter.py", line 50, in __init__
File "desktop\extensions\fs_api\fs_api_python.pyx", line 63, in fs_api_python.FsApiServer.__cinit__
fs_api_python.FsApiError: "Initializing fs api |>> Initializing application filesystem |>> Attempting to create new files directory for ApplicationFilesystem |>> Error making tempdir |>> flushing buffers |>> ACCESS_DENIED |>> Permission denied"

11 Replies 11

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on the forum, @Alexius321!

When did you start seeing this error exactly? Did you have any kind of update on your Dropbox app/device right before this issue occurred?

Also, what’s the current OS version of your computer? Did you initially install the desktop app with admin rights?

That’ll help me assist you further.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Alexius321
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the quick answer, the error started to show up maybe about a month ago. I'm not aware that it would be connected with any big system update. Also, I'm not sure about any other specific udpates. I tried to install the app both, with admin rights and without admin rights (after "advanced" unistall) both installations have the same result - the error. 

here is more infor about my OS version:

Windows 11 Pro

10.0.22621 Build 22621

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Alexius321, sorry to jump in here, but if you happen to be on the Basic plan, have you ensured that you're not hitting your account's device limit?

If that's not the case, could you try disabling any security programs you may have running temporarily and let us know if you still get the same error? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Alexius321
Explorer | Level 3

I do have basic plan, but only three devices are registered (it says that 3 are allowed).

I don't have any security programs except for default windows firewall, in there all communication for Dropbox is allowed. I turned it off anyway and tried to run again and received the same error. 

Thank you for your assitance

RobertCatron
Explorer | Level 3

The error message you provided indicates that Dropbox is encountering a permissions issue when attempting to start up. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Run Dropbox as Administrator: You mentioned that running Dropbox as an administrator allows it to start without any issues. While this is not an ideal long-term solution, it could indicate that there is a permission problem related to the user account you are currently using. You can right-click on the Dropbox shortcut or executable and select "Run as administrator" to see if it consistently resolves the problem.

2. Check Folder Permissions: Ensure that the user account you are using has the necessary permissions to access and modify the Dropbox folder and its contents. Right-click on the Dropbox folder, select "Properties," go to the "Security" tab, and check if your user account has full control or at least the required permissions.

3. Reset Dropbox Settings: Try resetting the Dropbox settings to their default values. To do this, exit Dropbox completely, press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog, type "%APPDATA%" (without quotes), and press Enter. Locate the "Dropbox" folder, rename it to "Dropbox_old," and then restart Dropbox. This will create a new Dropbox folder with default settings. Note that your preferences and settings will be reset, so you may need to set them up again.

4. Temporarily Disable Antivirus/Firewall: Sometimes, antivirus or firewall software can interfere with Dropbox's functionality. Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software you have installed, then try starting Dropbox again to see if the issue persists. If Dropbox starts successfully, you can add it as an exception in your security software to prevent future conflicts.

5. Reinstall Dropbox: If the above steps don't resolve the issue, you can try uninstalling Dropbox completely and then reinstalling it. First, uninstall Dropbox through the Control Panel or Settings. Afterward, download the latest version of Dropbox from the official website and reinstall it. During the installation process, make sure to choose the appropriate installation options and follow any prompts.

Alexius321
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the tips. Below are the results (in short, it still did not solve the issue).

1. I can run it as administration (by right clicking shortcut) and it runs OK, but as you say that is not a long term solution.

2. I checked folder premissions, they seem to be OK, just in case I added full control to all accounts on my PC (there is only one account though, and it is administrator account). It did not help.

3. I tried this and also no change (I think I menitioned above that I tried the advanced unistall - a part of that is to delete registry folders and also appdata folders. No change, same error.

4. I mentioned above that I do not have any antivirus or firewall except for windows default and there I tried two things: A) I turned it off and try to run dropbox (got same error) B) add a rule to allow all communications for Dropbox app (also got same error afterwards)

5. I did "advanced unistall" several times already but it did not help.  

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Alexius321!

Can you also give the following steps a go, and let me know if they help?

1) If Dropbox is running:

• Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray
  • Choose "Exit"

2) Press the Windows Key + R (at the same time) then type "cmd" and press enter to open the Command prompt.

3) Copy and paste the following lines into the Command Prompt, one at a time, and press RETURN after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands(don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. Also, you can only paste them by right clicking and selecting “Paste”. Don't worry if one of the instructions below fail or you can't find the folder in one of these locations. This is normal.

icacls "%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

icacls "%APPDATA%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

icacls "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

If you have any questions before you do this, or if you see an error after running one of these commands, please let me know!

4) Restart Dropbox from Start -> All Programs. Please also restart your computer.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Alexius321
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, thank you for the tips, here are the results 🙂

1. command one: (one file in "films" folder access denied error) - i do not have any "films" folder in dropbox folder 

Alexius321_0-1686595431351.png

2. command two: success

Alexius321_1-1686595492981.png

3. command three: success

Alexius321_2-1686595525311.png

sadly, result is the same 😞 same error (even after restarting computer and starting dropbox from start menu)

Any other tips please?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for trying this, @Alexius321!

Can we log a ticket for you then, and check this internally to see what’s happening?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Alexius321 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?