cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: External Drive backup dissapeared, still shows in dropbox web but no longer shows on the app ...

External Drive backup dissapeared, still shows in dropbox web but no longer shows on the app (MAC)

msg05
Explorer | Level 4

So i had an external drive backed up, but upon restarting my computer one of the drives is totally missing, and not showing up in the app, but all the files and backup seem perfectly fine on the web version (see image)? Has anyone else had a similar issue arise, or is an issue with drive renaming?  Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 23.09.24.png

9 Replies 9

msg05
Explorer | Level 4

Also, just now after restarting my computer, it said it couldn't find my computer backup (not an external drive), and is now starting that over from 0%, even though, once again on the web it shows that it is 100% backed up... This is definitely not a confidence booster for a backup solution. Is there any way to relink it to the one that i can see backed up on the web? or does it have to go through the process of re-backing everything up to sync the backup? 

FYI, I am using an M1 Max macbook pro with OS 13.4 (latest update) and my dropbox app is Version 175.4.5569 (175.4.5569)

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @msg05, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

The missing external drive, is it currently plugged in to your computer? Can you unplug and then plug it in again, to see if that makes any difference?

Also, what's the sync status of the Dropbox app, when you hover over the Dropbox icon as we speak?

Have you updated the Dropbox app to the new Dropbox for macOS version?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

msg05
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, the drives are plugged into the computer, i tried unplugging and then plugging them back in again and now they say "done" for the backup (so the status says that everything is done backing up), but the date of the backup is listed as being 5 days ago (and also not a complete backup of the drive as its still short 200gb or so). 

"Have you updated the Dropbox app to the new Dropbox for macOS version?" I thought that was automatic? or do i need to manually do that? 

msg05
Explorer | Level 4

I have updated to v176.4.5108 from the web, and still none of the backups seem to be updating at all.. Every time i click backup now, it goes for a second then says "Done" but in the menu bar it shows that the last backup was almost a week ago...

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @msg05, have you made any changes to the machine, or renamed the external drive storage?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

msg05
Explorer | Level 4

No I did not rename the drive or do anything else to it. When I restarted a computer (with the drives logged in) It opened up the dropbox app again it went through the whole backup initialization screen "would you like to make a backup of this computer?" as if i didn't have any already, but when i checked online the backups were still there. Now my computer fully backed up again, but my external drives show in the app (and on the web) but don't update at all. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you try adding a test file on the external drive and wait at least 15 minutes for the system to detect changes in the drive?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

msg05
Explorer | Level 4

Yes I have tried that, tried unplugging and plugging back in, tried restarting and nothing. One thing is that i did rename the drives in the dropbox app (i never renamed the actual drives, since i was getting DRIVE (1) DRIVE (2) DRIVE (3) for the same drive after a few initial backups failed and the dropbox team implemented the backup drive rename feature to get rid of the (1) after the actual drive name since dropbox keept on coming up with new #names for the drives)

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @msg05! If you're updating/adding files on your external drive, but no changes are reflected on your web Dropbox account, we can log a ticket and check this further. 

Is that OK with you?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?