cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove the Dropbox icon from the Windows 10 file explorer?

How do I remove the Dropbox icon from the Windows 10 file explorer?

Jeremy C.3
New member | Level 1

Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there is a Dropbox icon in the Windows file explorer navigation pane.  I already have a link to Dropbox and other cloud-storage options in the Quick links section of the file explorer, so I don't need this extra icon!

How do I remove the Dropbox icon from the navigation pane?  And to be clear,  I don't mean the quick-link, I mean the stand-alone 'system-type' icon in the navigation area.

37 Replies 37

Rich
Super User II

There is no option to remove it. Search the forums and you'll find a topic or two that contains some registry edits you can make to get rid of it, but I believe it just reappears on the next update.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

The icon in question is confuzing because it points to dropbox.exe (not to the dropbox folder).

In other words it is a shortcut that you can just put in the trashcan on win7 - not sure how to do that yet in win10!

A.M.J. L.
New member | Level 1

There is a perfect way of getting rid of this: uninstall dropbox in windows 10 and tell your company and private environment that you don't use dropbox anymore as long as this unacceptable situation is continued.

That is what I did! 

Irene W.
New member | Level 1

I have uninstalled dropbox in windows 10 and there is no option to delete the dropbox icon in the navigation pane in explorer. Anyone has a solution?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

That "icon" sounds like a token or Most Recently Used (MRU) item.  Only way I have found to clear 'em out is to use good ol' Ccleaner !-)

Irene W.
New member | Level 1

Thanks Rick, but that didn't work either.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

I do not see the DB icon in Windows 10 (upgraded from win 😎 File Explorer - so I cannot reproduce the issue.  Rich (above) says it can't be removed, yet I don't see it!

What I do see is the Dropbox folder in the navigation pane.

Jeremy C.3
New member | Level 1

In the navigation pane, exactly!  There must be some way to remove it, surely? 

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

Jeremy, I do not understand what you object to: it is a DB icon that replaces the <folder> icon in windows.  Beside "onedrive" you'll see their icon too.

You can always goto Windows "Properties" and change the icon:

"Properties" Customize tab "Change Icon" ...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Andy a.2 New member | Level 2
    Edy G. New member | Level 1
    Joel W.14 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?