cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

Scott W.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't notice it on Win8.1, but I have already hacked out a bunch of stuff in the registry on Win8.1. I have the Dropbox folder conveniently located in the root of a second hard drive, I don't need the link cluttering up the Navigation Pane, or the Desktop for that matter.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pikamander2
Super User
Go to solution

Okay, I think I figured out how to do it. There's only one key value that you have to change, but you also have to change its permissions so that Dropbox won't change it back.

First you have to go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}

And set the System.IsPinnedToNamespaceTree value to 0.

This will remove it from the File Explorer's navigation pane.

Afterwards, you'll need to prevent Dropbox from changing the value back.

To do this, right click the {E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A} key and then click Permissions. Click Advanced, and then click Add. In the dialog box that appears, type Everyone, and then click OK. Change the type to Deny, and make it apply to This key only. Click Show advanced permissions, and check the Set Value box.

Afterwards, click OK and Dropbox should no longer be able to modify that value. Hopefully Dropbox or Microsoft will make this kind of thing easier someday.

View solution in original post

73 Replies 73

Brandon B.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Agreed. I have the Dropbox folder under "Quick access" -- I do not need or want it loitering elsewhere in the Navigation pane.

(Windows 10; paying Dropbox Pro user)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

That's a Windows 10 option; not Dropbox. Right-click it and select Unpin from Quick Access.

Brandon B.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I am referring to the Dropbox link in the navigation pane, not to anything in the Quick Access section.

></p>

Scott W.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yip, that one. 

Gunnar T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here is how i got rid of it:

• Hit "Windows-Key + R", type "regedit" and then "OK".
  • Go to the paths
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\ShellFolder
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\ShellFolder
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\ShellFolder
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\ShellFolder
  • Double click on "Attributes"
  • Change the value from f080004d to f090004d
  • Open Task Manager and kill every "explorer.exe"-process under "Details"
  • Restart "explorer.exe" with "File -> New Task"

Quatre Z.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Update : ... aaaaaaaaaaaand it's back.

Amazing ! This worked for me. 

The first 2 entries were empty in my Registry though, no ShellFolders at all, probably cause I already disabled some Dropbox right-click features with Glary/CCleaner before. So they may not be related to this particular issue.

I only had the last two, replaced them as you suggested, and this did the trick.

Thank you !

Chris C.30
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It keeps coming back after a restart.

Brandon B.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thank you, Gunnar. That worked beautifully.

Brandon B.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I spoke too soon. It has returned. Examining the registry, the "Attributes" value changed back to "f080004d". And after several edits and reboots, this has reverted back several times. So something in Dropbox itself is actively preventing me from removing this obnoxious link in the navigation pane.

I'm pretty annoyed. I do not like paying money for something that then wastes my time and ignores my wishes.

How might one file a formal complaint with the people I gave my money for Dropbox Pro?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Malevola M. New member | Level 1
    Joao N.2 New member | Level 1
    Jack D.19 New member | Level 1
    Mike R New member | Level 1
    Andy a.2 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?