cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stop "Dropbox Update.exe" from using my net in background

How to Stop "Dropbox Update.exe" from using my net in background

digiraiter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello

Recently I noticed I'm using a lot of Traffic without Doing Anything Special

and I traced it to "Dropbox Update.exe" Even thought Dropbox is Closed, It Run in Background and use up to 200MB per Day. All solutions were to keep closing it with .bat files

is there any better option to stop it?

Thank you
DBU.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@digiraiter wrote:

my Dropbox version is now v50.3.66

You're running a Beta version of Dropbox which is also one version behind. Most likely, Dropbox is trying to update itself each night and failing, which is why it tries again each night.

I'd suggest you manually install the latest available release (v50.3.67 as of this wrighting, or v49.4.68 is you don't want a Beta) and see if this prevents the downloads from continuing. You can get the latest Stable or Beta releases in the Beta Testers section of the forum. If you choose the Stable version, make sure you log in to your Account page and disable the Early Releases option, or you might find that the Beta version is pushed out to you automatically again.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
There is no way to do this natively with Dropbox I'm afraid.

However, that is a lot of data so it sounds like something may not be right!

Which version of Dropbox you using?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Orbitolic
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Have you tried setting up your internet to metered connection? Know that it's far from ideal solution especially if you like to be up to date. 

Set up a metered connection. If you don't want Windows to automatically download large updates (including app updates), you can set your Wi-Fi connection to "metered." To do this, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi, scroll down to the bottom of the list of Wi-Fi networks, and click Advanced options

Also have a look a your hosts file. IIRC you might be able to disable background downloading.

Orbitolic

digiraiter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

digiraiter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's a Dropbox Problem
my windows in 7 SP1  & what you telling is about windows 10
I Limited Bandwidth to 1KB to try to stop it, Didn't help
I Added Dropbox Update.exe to Windows Firewall too. Also didn't help
I just want to stop Dropbox. I don't have the knowledge to stop Dropbox and not any other program from background downloading
DBBL.jpg

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@digiraiter wrote:

You're running a Beta version of Dropbox which is also one version behind. Most likely, Dropbox is trying to update itself each night and failing, which is why it tries again each night.

I'd suggest you manually install the latest available release (v50.3.67 as of this wrighting, or v49.4.68 is you don't want a Beta) and see if this prevents the downloads from continuing. You can get the latest Stable or Beta releases in the Beta Testers section of the forum. If you choose the Stable version, make sure you log in to your Account page and disable the Early Releases option, or you might find that the Beta version is pushed out to you automatically again.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@digiraiter wrote:

I Limited Bandwidth to 1KB to try to stop it, Didn't help

That option to limit bandwidth is only for the syncing of your files, and does not apply to the update process. If you've limited it to 1KB, you'll find that it takes forever for your files to sync.

Mechita52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

1.- How do I install v50.3.67?

I am not a computer expert.

The problem is my dropbox stopped syncing and it seems, stopped updating.

2.- Can I reinstall dropbox without erasing the dropbox folder on my computer?

I have been saving documents in my COMPUTER dropbox folder but IT IS NOT SYNCING WITH MY ONLINE Dropbox?

Please give me simpel instructions

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mechita52 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    digiraiter Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?