cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: After Windows crash - reinstall question

How to safely reinstall Dropbox (and avoid syncing) after my Windows update made my device crash?

JaapK
New member | Level 2

Hi, after a windows update, unfortunately my laptop crashed last week. Someone helped me reinstall Windows and could do this keeping the data files. So indeed I could find all my files after this update, they are on the path: C: User JKE>Dropbox>my-folders etc.  so unfortunately not the standard path. So as said, my files are all there (under the various my-folders) but I now realize these are no longer synced with Dropbox. I think I have to reinstall Dropbox Desktop, but I don't dare to do this due to the strange path I had before. If I install it, it will probably be placed at Desktop>Dropbox and I don't have a clue what will happen then. Will all files be duplicated on my laptop? How can I make sure I safely reinstall Dropbox Desktop so all the files that are already on my laptop will simply be syncing again with my dropbox account. Any clue?

1 Reply 1

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @JaapK,

You have hit one old Dropbox pain (old bug that stays through the years) and nobody care about that. 🤦 Anyway...

@JaapK wrote:

... the strange path I had before. ...

Unfortunately that's the issue - Dropbox doesn't tolerate any change of your user folder path - something you have changed. Most probably now your application crashes with message that some permissions are missing. The only missing thing is intention from Dropbox side to fix that bug. 😁

Yes, one way to solve the issue is advanced reinstall of Dropbox application. Make sure you're reading on steps for Windows. Actually you don't need full reinstall, but rather the steps 8, 9, and 10 there only. At the end just run your Dropbox application anew and set your current Dropbox' folder location using advanced settings if needed. 😉

Hope this helps.

Need more support?