cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can no longer open Dropbox from the icon pinned to the taskbar, nor from the .exe in the folder

I can no longer open Dropbox from the icon pinned to the taskbar, nor from the .exe in the folder

Robbie1
Helpful | Level 6

Starting today, I tried to open Dropbox that is pinned to the taskbar. It wouldn't open. I opened the program folder and double-clicked on the .exe file. It also would not open Dropbox.  I uninstalled and reinstalled with same issue. I can open it from a desktop icon, but why will it not open from the executable file in the program folder which means I cannot pin it to the taskbar. I'm running Windows 11 Pro 23H2 with latest build.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robbie1
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jay, I think I fixed it. The attached photo shows the target path of the icon pinned to taskbar that will not open. Start menu icon had no properties. I then went to the desktop icon that will open the program and replaced the taskbar icon target with the path C:\Users\robch\Dropbox

which will now open the program from the taskbar. The executable icon in the program folder remains as per the attached photo. Should I change the target or just leave it as is? At least I can open and use the program now from the taskbar icon.

20231207_074704.jpg

View solution in original post

47 Replies 47

rfilkin
Helpful | Level 6

I am experiencing the same issue on windows 10 laptop. Everything on my laptop is up to date. I have no issue with opening the app on my Samsung tablet or my android phone. This started just the other day.  I do the majority of my work on my laptop and then access it on my tablet or phone. If this isn't solved, then there is no point in using Dropbox.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Robbie1, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

When you uninstalled and reinstalled the app, did you perform an advanced reinstallation?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Robbie1
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jay, 

I just did an advanced reinstallation with the same result. The folder will opn using the desktop icon, but not from clicking the executable in the program folder which means I cannot open the program from the taskbar. Could a very recent update to Windows 11 have caused this? It just started within the last week and I've been using Dropbox for years.

Rob 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info. Could you try right clicking the taskbar icon and then Properties, and likewise with the Dropbox icon in the start menu, and let me know what the executable path is showing up as? A screenshot of this would help greatly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Robbie1
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jay, I think I fixed it. The attached photo shows the target path of the icon pinned to taskbar that will not open. Start menu icon had no properties. I then went to the desktop icon that will open the program and replaced the taskbar icon target with the path C:\Users\robch\Dropbox

which will now open the program from the taskbar. The executable icon in the program folder remains as per the attached photo. Should I change the target or just leave it as is? At least I can open and use the program now from the taskbar icon.

20231207_074704.jpg

Jay
Dropbox Staff

I think that, as the program is now working, I'd leave the target as is to prevent any other issues from occurring. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Robbie1
Helpful | Level 6

I agree and thanks a lot for your hep, Jay.

Rob C.

rfilkin
Helpful | Level 6

DropBoxLocation2.pngDropBoxLocation.pngDropBoxLocation3.png

rfilkin
Helpful | Level 6

I have done a complete and thorough uninstall. Still getting errors. I have spent hours on this and after being a dropbox customer for years, may look at alternative options

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    NadFind New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?