cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keeping getting a message that file name is too long

I keeping getting a message that file name is too long

Connie A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

When I move some files over to dropbox I get a message that says the name is too long. Dropbox accepts the file but won't let me rename or even move it onto my desktop so I can shorten the name, ex. an invoice for a client.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

From here: https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing

Max character length

Windows only allows file and folder names of 260 characters or less. On top of this limit, certain applications—such as Microsoft Excel—have shorter limits (218 characters).

Note that Windows counts the file path as part of the name, so the sample file path below would be 142 characters, not 16:

C:\Users\Panda\My Documents\Dropbox\Creative Nonfiction\My Autobiography\Favorite Things\Favorite Foods\Bamboo\Family Recipes\Fresh Leaves.doc

Versions 3.0 and higher of the Dropbox desktop application are able to read and write to locations that are longer than 260 characters long without problems. However, some applications might still be subject to the Operating System limits and may have problems accessing files that are in long paths.

For example, if you have an Excel 2010 file in a path that is 260 characters long, Dropbox will sync it to your computer but when you try to open it Excel will show an error message like "File Cannot be accessed". You can read more about Office and Microsoft path limitations on their Help Center. In general, all you need to do to open those files is to shorten the name or move the file or folder to a higher-level folder.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Clayton H.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Try to shorten the name from inside the web client of dropbox instead... dropbox has an issue where they accept filenames over 256 characters but it causes nothing but errors when it slaps that onto your computer.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

From here: https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing

Max character length

Windows only allows file and folder names of 260 characters or less. On top of this limit, certain applications—such as Microsoft Excel—have shorter limits (218 characters).

Note that Windows counts the file path as part of the name, so the sample file path below would be 142 characters, not 16:

C:\Users\Panda\My Documents\Dropbox\Creative Nonfiction\My Autobiography\Favorite Things\Favorite Foods\Bamboo\Family Recipes\Fresh Leaves.doc

Versions 3.0 and higher of the Dropbox desktop application are able to read and write to locations that are longer than 260 characters long without problems. However, some applications might still be subject to the Operating System limits and may have problems accessing files that are in long paths.

For example, if you have an Excel 2010 file in a path that is 260 characters long, Dropbox will sync it to your computer but when you try to open it Excel will show an error message like "File Cannot be accessed". You can read more about Office and Microsoft path limitations on their Help Center. In general, all you need to do to open those files is to shorten the name or move the file or folder to a higher-level folder.

Andres B.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I get the same problem.

I don't understand why dropbox insists that "Versions 3.0 and higher of the Dropbox desktop application are able to read and write to locations that are longer than 260 characters long without problems. However, some applications might still be subject to the Operating System limits and may have problems accessing files that are in long paths." and I am still getting the same issue.

Roman H.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem. Trying to name file like this "Документація конкурсних торгів або кваліфікаційна документація" and have this error.

Joseph L.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

We all have the same requirement. Human beings love to classify and breakdown knowledge into digestible portions so we can make sense of our thoughts and stay organised. It is unreasonable that any data storage service would seek to limit the ability for us to organise our data in the same way we organise our thoughts. To do so will ultimately be suicide for those companies. Keep voting with your feet everyone.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

To do so will ultimately be suicide for those companies. Keep voting with your feet everyone.

I'm not quite sure Microsoft have had any issues with these limits, however, remember it is them imposing this and so it is them you need to move from. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mojadded_Hasan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

firest you need to change file ex . than you upload you file

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mojadded_Hasan New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Joseph L.2 New member | Level 1
    Roman H.3 New member | Level 1
    Andres B.6 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?