cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install headless on Linux 20.04 RUST PANICKING

Install headless on Linux 20.04 RUST PANICKING

Hal MacLean
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi - looking for ideas on this, as it is the first time I've seen it...

I download and install the client app on a Linux Ubuntu 20.04 server, set up on AWS. All seems to go well until I issue:

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

I get the following few lines of extensions loading, followed by an aborted start:

dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/apex._apex.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/tornado.speedups.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/wrapt._wrappers.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
RUST PANICKING -- "Failed to run Python command!" at "app/lib/core/bootstrap/src/python.rs":127
Aborted (core dumped)

Is this a file permission issue, or something incompatible with Ubuntu 20.04? What would you suggest I do to investigate it? I've already followed the 'Advanced Re-install' procedure, but ended up at the same point. I've had this working on a non AWS server before, but just can't seem to get it working on AWS.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wescpy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
21 Replies 21

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Hal MacLean, thanks for reaching out!

Would you mind first checking to see if you have the minimum system requirements for installing and using the Dropbox application on your Linux computer?

Let me know what you find. 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

halmaclean
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Hannah - it's an AWS EC2 instance with 4 core, 16Gb RAM and 300Gb HDD running Ubuntu 20.04. There's plenty of space on the drive.

I've had it running on a lower spec machine under Ubuntu 18.04, but not within AWS. It normally works just fine, so I am a little puzzled about this - any suggestions would be great!

FarmingHard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello

The same thing just happend to me to. 

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd 

Gave this

dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/apex._apex.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/tornado.speedups.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/wrapt._wrappers.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
RUST PANICKING -- "Failed to run Python command!" at "app/lib/core/bootstrap/src/python.rs":127
Aborted

Running on a Google cloud VM instance and it meets all minimum requirements. Ubuntu 20.04.

T9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am getting exactly the same.

ajaymdesai
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had this happen in container debian turnkey-core.

halmaclean
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Hannah - I am not sure if you saw the post - I meet the minimum requirements so I am hoping there is something more that you could suggest.

Currently I'm attempting to use WebDAV and, occasionally Rsync to get the files I need moved, but they are not uploading reliably and I really need Dropbox to work!

ajaymdesai
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I solved this by moving from Debian turnkey core to ubuntu and then everything worked.

halmaclean
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@ajaymdesai  - Good you got it working! What version of Ubuntu?

I am having the issue on Ubuntu 20.04, on AWS... 

Hal MacLean
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Hannah - any further ideas for me to try? Would appreciate anything at all right now!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

leif_71 New member | Level 2
    aclopes New member | Level 2
    Hal MacLean Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?