cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Install headless on Linux 20.04 RUST PANICKING

Install headless on Linux 20.04 RUST PANICKING

Hal MacLean
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi - looking for ideas on this, as it is the first time I've seen it...

I download and install the client app on a Linux Ubuntu 20.04 server, set up on AWS. All seems to go well until I issue:

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

I get the following few lines of extensions loading, followed by an aborted start:

dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/apex._apex.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/tornado.speedups.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/wrapt._wrappers.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/ubuntu/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-126.4.4618/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
RUST PANICKING -- "Failed to run Python command!" at "app/lib/core/bootstrap/src/python.rs":127
Aborted (core dumped)

Is this a file permission issue, or something incompatible with Ubuntu 20.04? What would you suggest I do to investigate it? I've already followed the 'Advanced Re-install' procedure, but ended up at the same point. I've had this working on a non AWS server before, but just can't seem to get it working on AWS.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

21 Replies 21

leif_71
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, same here:

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

RUST PANICKING -- "Failed to run Python command!" at "desktop/app/lib/core/bootstrap/src/python.rs":127

Raspbian (Raspios-buster-i386)

XFCE Ok
GTK Ok
Glib Ok
Libappindicator Ok
Nautilus Ok

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Happy Monday, Hal and @leif_71, and sorry for the delay here, I was looking into this on my end. 

Are you still having this issue? 

If so, can I reach out to you via email, so we can look into this more closely?

Thanks! 

(PS. Just let me know if the machine having this issue is connected to the @Hal MacLean account or the @halmaclean one)

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

aclopes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there,

I have exactly the same issue in Ubuntu server 20.04 running on vmware vsphere.

Maybe this is related with ubuntu version and dropbox?

I have dropbox running on several ubuntu vm's on the same host.

Any help would be appreciated! Thnak you

alleyh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there an answer to this issue that everyone can try?

wescpy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey guys, did you try @wescpy 's suggestion above to see if it helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Hal MacLean
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks @Hannah - I am still unable to get Dropbox running, but I have not yet attempted to update the libraries - I will do so as soon as I can and see if that helps. 

As for the multiple accounts - both of them come back to me, so either will work for email purposes... I am unclear how the two accounts relate to Dropbox, except I do have to run multiple Dropbox accounts for different organizations I am working with. It would seem the two are related to different organizations I must have been logged in as at the time I posted - apologies for the confusion!

Hal MacLean
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@wescpy - brilliant!

This absolutely worked, and got the service running. Very grateful to you for posting it here - hope that it helps others as well.
I've no idea what those libraries do, or why we had to update them, but I am glad you found that 🙂

Hal MacLean
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@wescpy - you deserve today's star 🙂

Thank you!

Hal MacLean
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Hannah - the response from @wescpy worked for me.
Maybe worth adding it as part of the notes for install, to recommend updating the libraries. The response on Digital Ocean:

"t turns out that not all dependencies needed are installed by default, which the article from Ubuntu 14.04 failed to mention. Here is what I needed to do first:

sudo apt install libc6 libglapi-mesa libxdamage1 libxfixes3 libxcb-glx0 libxcb-dri2-0 libxcb-dri3-0 libxcb-present0 libxcb-sync1 libxshmfence1 libxxf86vm1

After installing these packages, I continued the guide and was able to get Dropbox installed."

Thanks to "ccnyc" for that, and to @wescpy for adding it here.

Need more support?