cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New message notifications will not go away

New message notifications will not go away

JGersh
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have several “unread” messages from Dropbox which when opened or marked as read the “2” displayed above the icon will not go away.  The marked as read button does nothing and there appears to be no way to delete the messages ? Using app on new iPad Pro. 

529DB0B9-0B1C-450B-8ADD-628521D85372.jpeg

64 Replies 64

clira
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Just discovered something VERY nasty- signing out and then back in again resets the need for a passcode.  If you signed out and back in again as a fix for the notifications, you may want to check your app settings and see if a password is still required.  Or just click the Dropbox icon and see if you get the passcode prompt.

clira
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I was part of this recent thread

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/New-message-notifications-will-not-go-away/td...

where in order to fix a notification problem we were advised to sign and out back in to the Dropbox app on our iPads.  The next time I went to save from Numbers to Dropbox, I did not get a passcode prompt.  It seems that when you sign and out and back in, your must AGAIN set the passcode requirement on the device.  That seems like a big hole.  Repro:

1. Log into Dropbox on your iPad using your passcode.  

2. Go to Account and click "Sign out from this Dropbox".

3. Exit, then go back in again, entering your user ID and password.

4. Exit, then go back into Dropbox again.

Expected: You should be prompted for your passcode.

Actual: the app opens without any passcode prompt.

Granted, people probably don't sign in and out of their Dropbox app that often, but it was a bit disconcerting to know that my Dropbox was unprotected for the past few days(other than iPad level TouchID).  Is this the way it is supposed to be, or is there an authentication hole?

Dropbox app version: 320.3.2

iOS version: 16.3.1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@clira wrote:

It seems that when you sign and out and back in, your must AGAIN set the passcode requirement on the device.

That's the intended behavior, and it's how you reset the passcode if you ever forget it. The same happens if you uninstall/reinstall the app.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@clira wrote:

... signing out and then back in again resets the need for a passcode.

That is the intended behavior. You still need to sign back in, so the app and your account are not accessible once you sign out.

clira
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hmmm…if you forget the passcode, how can you even get into the app to sign out(and thus turn off the passcode requirement)?

clira
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Right, but after you sign back in, you may not realize that the passcode has been turned off, and that you need to turn it back on again.  I thought that the passcode requirement was linked to my profile or account settings, but it’s not.

dmarie26
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same issue with Windows 11. It's so annoying because I tried to see if there is any message that hasn't been read or if there is any sync error, and there was none.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dmarie26, I hope you're doing well! 

In regards to your notification when using your Windows device, can you check which version of the Dropbox application you're using, and what's the sync status at the moment?

You can hover over the Dropbox icon in your task bar, to see this info.

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rick17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have the same issue on my iPhone. Brand new problem. Never had this before.

dmarie26
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox version 170.4.5895

Sync status: Your files are up to date

Need more support?