cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem sharing my Dropbox folder

Problem sharing my Dropbox folder

Elcrowley
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I have just updated Dropbox on my iMac 13.0.1. I was said that app will relocate the folder. And once update is finished, I can't access to my dropbox folder from another computer on same room. I had my Dropbox folder shared with the other computer. And now I don't know how to locate that folder from the "external" iMac.

Does anyone know how to solve it?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Elcrowley, and welcome to the Community. 

Can you please clarify what you mean exactly when saying that you had shared your local Dropbox folder with the other computer? Do you perhaps mean that you have installed the Dropbox app on both devices and it’s linked to the same Dropbox account? 

If yes, were you asked to install the latest Dropbox update for macOS on the other computer, as well? 

Let me know, and we’ll take it from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Elcrowley
Explorer | Level 4
Hi, thanks for your help.
I have my Dropbox account on my imac. Dropbox updated and new location for the folder. My brother have another Imac, no Dropbox. He creates illustrator files and saves it on my Dropbox folder entering on my imac by local network.Problem is that now he can't locate my Dropbox folder on my imac from his imac

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Elcrowley, sorry to jump in but I just wanted to mention that you can find your Dropbox folder's location in the app's preferences under the Sync tab.

I hope this helps a tad. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Elcrowley
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

My dropbox folder is located in 

/Users/***/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

So I am trying to find this folder (my folder on my computer with my dropbox) on my brother computer. And as it's my library folder, I can't find it. Note that Library only can be shown once you click OPTION and "Go to" Library...

So I tried to create an alias of my dropbox folder on my computer and move it to a different location to make it easier to find it. But a pop up warns me that if I move the alias folder, the whole folder will be moved from the original Dropbox location.

No fix for me yet....

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Elcrowley, if I understand this correctly, your brother is accessing your device using using the same network.

Can you walk me through the steps or app that he follows, in order to do that? Also, what does he see when following the path that your Dropbox folder is located? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Elcrowley
Explorer | Level 4

My brother tries to connect to my iMac through Locations on left panel of a window on his Mac and then click on my iMac name to enter on my iMac. He can see several folders (Macintosh HD, my folder's name, and an Alias for my Dropbox folder that I placed. But system says that can't access because can't locate it.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Elcrowley, it's possible that the new location isn't compatible with aliases trying to access it on another user profile on the machine.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Elcrowley
Explorer | Level 4

Well, it should be good to keep the same Dropbox folder status then.... Actually, with this change onDropbox, is not good for us...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Elcrowley Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?