cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same Dropbox for Two Windows 10 Users on the Same Computer (Pro User)

Same Dropbox for Two Windows 10 Users on the Same Computer (Pro User)

Joseph T.13
New member | Level 1

I have had nothing but problems with Windows 10 Start Menu, search, etc. Known Microsoft problem. The work around seems to be creating a 'Local' User, which I have done. Is there a way to have a common Dropbox folder for both users (Me). It seems not so far, in what I have tried. I have Installed Dropbox in my local user account, but its a different folder, and I don't want to have another 100 GB Dropbox on my hard drive for the second user. I can access the original Dropbox folder using User 2, but the folder does not sync with User 2. Any help would be appreciated!!!

5 Replies 5

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

When I want all users to be able access the self-same dropbox-folder I make a directory c:/OurDropbox...

then tell Dropbox to change the location.  But then they can only access the files on disk.

Dee M.2
New member | Level 1

How can I get a dropbox folder for two users on the same laptop?

I have set us both up as different users (profiles) on the laptop i.e. there is an Admin profile and two others and I am wondering does it make a difference how I downloaded dropbox in the first instance because when I set up dropbox I downloaded it on one of the user profiles not the admin one and now I cannot get dropbox for the 2nd user.

Regards

Dee

Rich
Super User II

You need to store the Dropbox folder in a location that all users will have access to. This is typically outside of the user profiles because other users cannot access the content of another user's profile. You could change the permissions so they could access another profile, but that's more trouble than it's worth. The easier solution is to store the Dropbox folder in a location everyone can access.

While logged in to the account that you originally used to install Dropbox, open Dropbox preferences and move the Dropbox folder to a location such as C:\Dropbox. Wait for Dropbox to finish the process. It could take a little while depending on how much data you have and the speed of your computer. Once the move is complete, log in to the other user profile and install Dropbox. Towards the end of the install there will be an Advanced Options link at the bottom of the window. Click that and you'll have the option of selecting the location for your Dropbox folder. Make sure you select the folder ABOVE your existing Dropbox folder. If you moved it to C:\Dropbox, select C:\. If you were to select the Dropbox folder itself, you'll end up creating C:\Dropbox\Dropbox.

A word of caution when running like this. DO NOT under any circumstances use Selective Sync. If you were to remove a folder using Selective Sync while logged in to one account, it will be removed from your computer and stored only online as expected. However, when you log in to the next user account, it would see that the folder is missing, not realize it was removed using Selective Sync, and then it would delete the copy you have online.

Dee M.2
New member | Level 1

Brilliant thanks Rich, that worked perfectly.

All happy now

Dee

esti g.
New member | Level 1

it says that there is yet a dropbox there.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

esti g. New member | Level 1
    Dee M.2 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?