cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

loglow
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
No, these suggestions did not resolve the issue. Using Ventura on M2 Air.

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@Walter Tried your suggestions, and it does seem to work in a very limited capacity where recently opened files are able to open again, otherwise it's pretty useless though. Especially as Spotlight Search is usually being used to locate files that haven't been opened recently.

johnzmetcalfe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No help. Same very annoying problem. Makes me regret going with beta!

professor1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm having the exact same issue, and I have tried all the solutions offered in this 5-page thread. Nothing works. This makes Dropbox non-functional for me! Please add me to the ticket. I am running the newest version of Dropbox and OS Ventura 13.0.1.

loglow
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I previously requested being added to the open ticket for this, but so far I haven't been. This issue makes Dropbox nearly useless to me. Unless this is fixed or addressed soon, I will no longer be using Dropbox.

professor1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

loglow--My problem may have just been solved despite previous failed attempts. I unlinked Dropbox, deleted Dropbox and its files completely from my computer, and reinstalled it--just now. Suddenly I'm able to open files and folders through Spotlight again. Maybe worth a shot?

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@professor1 Please wait for like a few days and then report back if all files are still working, specifically newer and later files, and files you haven't opened for a while. I got it to work partially and then a few days later it's just back to how it used to be. Maybe because all the files have recently been downloaded they are still indexed in a way where they can be opened. Would be great if you can give us a status update next week to see if all is still working for you then.

3zero2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I tried a fresh clean install of Ventura with Dropbox but no dice. Still not working.

Jacob
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've just uninstalled dropbox, restarted my comp, installed dropbox again and it seems to work correctly now i.e. spotlight finds everything. Actually it started to find the files the moment I uninstalled dropbox. 

loglow
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Other have mentioned this working only temporarily. Please let us know if it continues working after several days.
Need more support?