cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Mac File Provider API version (174.4.5852) - now continually "syncing 6 files"

Switched to Mac File Provider API version (174.4.5852) - now continually "syncing 6 files"

ehahn9
Explorer | Level 3

Hi! Hope someone can help me. Amongst the many problems with the new Mac FPAPI version, this one is a deal-breaker and I can't seen to figure out what's going on...

My otherwise idle system cycles between "Your files are up to date" and "Syncing 6 Files" every few seconds. Indeed, it seems to be syncing *something* (and consuming modest network bandwidth) but does not list any  recent files in Sync history or Activity tabs.

This behavior seems to be new with the FPAPI version and is happening on all of my dropbox machines...

• Has anyone else seen this?
  • Is there any way to get the actual filenames of what dropbox is syncing?
  • or, perhaps someone can point me to a Mac FP API utility to report file system changes?

I'm stumped! Thanks so much for any help!

14 Replies 14

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ehahn9, let's jump right into this! 

Can you let me know if you see any specific numbers when you hover your mouse over your little Dropbox icon, on your menu bar, next to your WiFi? 

What do you see on the bottom of the pop-up window, when you then click on the icon? 

Also, if you click the Dropbox icon, and then click your avatar (profile picture or initials) in the upper-right corner, do you see any syncing issues under "View sync issues"

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ehahn9
Explorer | Level 3

At the bottom, only "Syncing 6 files..." then "All files are up to date" then syncing 6 files a minute or so later.

I've also fixed hyperlinks and permissionI

I've rebooted the machine

I've disconnected dropbox from the account and re-connected

Seems to randomly occur and when it does, it's continual.

From my OP: is there a way to know *which* files dropbox is syncing (internally)?

felip
Helpful | Level 6

Same here but stuck indexing 49.199 files. Nothing works log out, log in restarts indexing but it gets stuck after a while, on another random number. Rebooting does nothing. Same Dropbox version 174.4.5852 MacOS 12.6.6, and don't tell my to upgrade to Ventura please just make your product work as expected, I lost a lot of precious time this weekend trying to make it work, now I'm uploading files through Safari LOL but I just need to keep working.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @ehahn9 & @felip - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you maybe send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar at the moment? Is it still syncing the exact same number of files? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

felip
Helpful | Level 6

No it is not, every time I sign out and in it gets stuck in a different number. I also tried to reinstall Dropbox, problem is that I relay on Dropbox for work and I can't stay all day testing things. I have two accounts basic with no issues and advanced which is hard used all day for work (10 people team) stuck indexing and not syncing 😕 since updating to new file provider API app last week. I'm using Dropbox through Safari.

Guys , with all the love, but this is a very bad update and it's funny because it is not beta, I'm not in the beta program. I've been reading a lot this days and we're not alone, (a lot of people is having sync/index problems since file provider update) and don't blame Apple, iCloud works flawless, (I have it for my personal files). During the week I don't want to loose more free time trying to solve it, please don't tell me to update to Ventura, don't tell me is a file, some team members doesn't have the problem in the same OS, with the same files in Dropbox. The only difference is I'm on M1 Machine and they in Intel, (I don't know if this is a clue but is the only difference). Just try to isolate the problem, correct it and launch an update. Customers don't have to waste their time even being so proactive that want to solve it by themselves, (like some of us). Thank you 

Captura de Pantalla 2023-05-29 a las 14.26.12.png

Yesterday

Captura de Pantalla 2023-05-30 a las 7.37.49.png

Today

EDIT: You'll see a Sandisk icon here, Dropbox is not on external drive, it's were is supposed to be now library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

Thanks

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

While we appreciate your feedback here, @felip, indeed the next step in order to resolve this issue, would be upgrading to Ventura, particularly 13.3 and above.

I understand this is not convenient for you, but is it possible?

Of course your comments will be passed along to our team about this as well.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

felip
Helpful | Level 6

"While we appreciate your feedback here, @felip, indeed the next step in order to resolve this issue, would be upgrading to Ventura, particularly 13.3 and above." Not very helpful @Hannah 😕 and I'm also a customer and I'm not trolling a thread, I'm just having the same problem and thought would be better than making another thread. 

No it is not possible at this moment to upgrade a working machine, time is gold, and Monterey is still having updates... I don't understand why you can't solve it since Monterrey is using exactly the same File Provider API, so you can't do nothing? How is possible that others in my team are in Monterey and not having the same problem? This means you're only giving support to very last OS? Ventura is arriving to its end... WWDC is here and MacOS 14 is coming in fall, Ventura will be out then? So many questions, don't you think?

I mean, I could understand not having support for super old OS but... well I'll look into a better assistance through our Advanced plan support.

I'm so disappointed with this poor response 😞

Ben38
New member | Level 2

The correct response is a path this person can take to downgrade to the working version of DropBox on their system. Your new software is beta-quality at best and I've seen people with LOTS of issues with it.

alitchfi
Helpful | Level 6

Yes. I had to do that because the upgrade wrecked my file system and resulted in corrupted and unreadable databases. The Dropbox file system changed the data format of the databases. It looked like Dropbox had unlinked or corrupted the File System Object. In any case, potentially 30 years of data lost. Luckily I had backups prior to the update and could rebuild the systems on localhost.

I cycled through many service desk staff who only copied and pasted solutions, even after I had said not to post solution x, y, and z. Finally got the escalation I demanded after weeks of wasted effort and spoke to an actual person, only to be told the "engineers" were working on it. Yet the same problems are emerging, so apparently there were no bug fixes in subsequent releases.

Downgrade to an earlier system and *do not use* the backup function.

Or better yet, transfer to another and more reliable storage service, as I am doing.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

razorflash Helpful | Level 6
    bigzarelli New member | Level 2
    matteosecli New member | Level 2
    felip Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?