cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronizing several windows notebooks with Dropbox.

Synchronizing several windows notebooks with Dropbox.

TechTrans
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I am NEW, so forgive me if I ask a lame old q - I browsed the contents, but couldn't find a good solution. At the same time, I believe others have researched and solved this ...

1) I have a Professional Version account, so space is not an issue

2) Objective: I want to set up DB in a way that it initially mirrors the content of the D-Drive in my  main notebook (M) and THEN use several (3) notebooks which all use the excact same D-Drive, so they initally sync the content that DB has sync'd from M - in essence all 3 other notebooks have the same D-content 

3) When I then use any notebbook ( I am the only user, and do not use them simultaneously), I want the content to udate to DB, and if I later open another Notebook, to initially sync from DB, and so on.

I am super frustrated, because I seem not to quite understand how to start this intelligently in my setup.

Already when I want to sync the slightly complex D-Drive, I hit a mental wall.

Can anyone send me in the right direction?

I used to employ a tool called ViceVersa which made sure nothing was overwritten in an undesired method, but I cannot see how it would work in DB, so most likely there is a setup which fits my needs. Many thanks for ANY and ALL pointers.

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @TechTrans, let's jump right into this! 

You mentioned your D drive, can you confirm if this drive is an external one or not? 

Would you like to move the Dropbox folder there? If not, would you want to backup the D drive to Dropbox via Dropbox Backup?

Also, do you have the app installed on the device at the moment? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TechTrans
Explorer | Level 4
Hello!
I haven’t set up anything yet as I want to do everything right from the start.
So I have to physically move (like copy & paste?) my complete 😧 drive into a specific folder which then syncs with the DB?
For experts this may sound ridiculous, but I am afraid that moving the 😧 drive may sever connections in the file & program system.

TechTrans
Explorer | Level 4
The sad face is D : drive - the icons just came up like that

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @TechTrans, in essence, the Dropbox app works like this: you install the app, and a Dropbox folder with all of your account's content is downloaded to the device.

Now, when you need to add content to your account, all you have to do is place that content, inside of your Dropbox folder, and allow for it to sync the changes. Once that happens, the files and folders should be visible online, and on any other linked device.

With that being said, you can place your Dropbox folder on your 😧 drive, but you'd then need to manually place any files and folders in the Dropbox folder, in order for them to sync. As for the rest of the notebooks, you'd need to install the app there too, in order to see the reflected changes there.

Keep in mind that the files in your Dropbox folder wouldn't sync with the actual files outside of it, even if you copy/paste them. 

You might want to also take a look into our Backup feature, and see if this would suit your needs. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TechTrans
Explorer | Level 4

Ah! I start to understand.  

I really want an ongoing, agile management of my files, so that certainly is the way to go.  Setting up the syncing of content really is a bit scary, but so helpful once it is set up properly.

I will now try this out and give you feedback on how it works. Many thanks already!

MordechaiLeif
New member | Level 2

To set up a synchronization system in Dropbox where multiple notebooks mirror the content of a D-drive, follow these steps. Install Dropbox on all the notebooks and designate one as the primary source (Notebook M). Configure Dropbox on Notebook M to sync the D-drive folder. Share the D-drive folder from Dropbox and grant access to the other notebooks. Configure Dropbox on Notebooks 1, 2, and 3 to sync the shared D-drive folder. Enable selective sync to control the content available on each notebook. Whenever changes are made to the D-drive on any notebook, Dropbox will automatically sync those changes to keep all notebooks up to date. This way, you can ensure matelasse mini bag consistent content across multiple devices using Dropbox's synchronization capabilities.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MordechaiLeif New member | Level 2
    TechTrans Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?