cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This folder already contains a Dropbox directory. (Dropbox 3.03 on Fedora 21 (x64)

This folder already contains a Dropbox directory. (Dropbox 3.03 on Fedora 21 (x64)

Nathanel T.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is this some kind of a joke? I keep my dropbox folder on a separate partition to simply redirect the dropbox daemon to that location and not have to go through the whole download process all over again. Now, after a fresh install of Fedora 21, installing this new version of dropbox prevents me from pointing it to the previously installed location stating 'This folder already contains a Dropbox directory.'.... THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED NOW!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Uninstall Dropbox if it's installed. Rename your existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Reinstall Dropbox and select the location that you want for the Dropbox folder. Keep in mind that external drives are NOT recommended as data loss can occur under the right conditions. When the installation is finished, Dropbox will immediately start to sync. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the newly created Dropbox folder. When the move is complete, and not before, resume syncing or re-launch Dropbox.

At this point Dropbox will begin indexing all of your files. This process will take a while, especially with 700GB of data to go through. During this time it may say that files are uploading or downloading, but it's only transferring comparison data and any changes that it find. be patient and LET IT WORK.

View solution in original post

61 Replies 61

John L.2
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Nathanel,

This is a known issue that we are working on fixing. Can you download 2.10.52 for now?

https://d1ilhw0800yew8.cloudfront.net/client/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-2.10.52.tar.gz

Thanks!
John

Nathanel T.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Awesome John, thank you for the prompt response 🙂 - Other than that the new app looks great.

Dave G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello,

What's the sketch with this? I needed to uninstall and reinstall dropbox but now I cannot use it because it wants to download all my files again to a new location (300gb worth). I need to be able to point the new installation to it's previous location. This is an urgent issue.

The link to v2.10.52 below does not contain a setup.exe file.

Thanks,
Dave

Nathanel T.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dave, that specific link is for Linux based distributions, hence the 'Fedora' in the title... it's an unpacked version of the DB daemon for 64 bit linux-based distributions....

Dave G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello. Thanks for the note Nathaniel - I was a bit out of my depth opening that then!!

My fix for this for anyone else coming across this was to copy both my dropboxes into a new folder, re-install dropbox, and then copy all my files back into the specified dropbox folders again. Didn't take too long and all synced up nicely again now.

John L.2
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the report! This issue should have been fixed in 3.0.4. Were you still experiencing problems on that build?

Best,
John

Dave G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

yes

Dario S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I also have the same problem. I have Dropbox 3.05 and use Windows 7 Professional.

I renamed the original folder to DropboxOld and used the same process to begin the move. I planned to pause it as soon as it started, delete the new folder created by the application, and rename DropboxOld to Dropbox, but it has been stuck at "Moving Dropbox..." for a few minutes and when I look at the destination, it didn't even create a new Dropbox folder to begin copying files into.

The website is also remarkably inflexible. When I go to the download page, I only can download version 3.05 - not any older versions and not the 3.1.274 development version, which I need to use a search engine to find on another website.

Matthew C.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Also having problems

On v3.0.5 of dropbox using Mint 17.1 x64

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Patrick L.7 New member | Level 1
    Proteome S. New member | Level 1
    Alastair D. New member | Level 1
    Carlos1 New member | Level 1