cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open Dropbox on my iPad. Please help.

Unable to open Dropbox on my iPad. Please help.

CHH1
New member | Level 2

I am unable to open dropbox on my ipad.  I get a message "To connect to this device, try Dropbox Plus".  I want basic dropbox.  I can open it on my desktop and iphone.  What am I doing wrong?

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @CHH1, welcome to our Community!

Is it possible that you are over our device limit for the Basic plan? 

Would you mind checking the connected devices section in the security page in your account settings, to double-check if you have 3 devices linked to your account already?

If you only see two devices, please send me a screenshot, while hiding the device names and also a screenshot of the error message you're getting.

Thanks so much!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CHH1
New member | Level 2

I bought a new ipad.  I reset my old ipad back to factory settings.  I updated my dropbox device list and have only 3 devices listed (desktop, iphone and ipad) on my dropbox account.  When opening my dropbox on my ipad, I get the message (To connect this device, try dropbox Plus.  You've reached your plan's device limit).  I currently have Dropbox Basic because I have only 3 devices I use to access my dropbox.  My question/problem is why does dropbox think that I have more than 3 devices and how can I correct this.

Rich
Super User II

@CHH1 wrote:

I updated my dropbox device list and have only 3 devices listed (desktop, iphone and ipad) on my dropbox account.  ... My question/problem is why does dropbox think that I have more than 3 devices and how can I correct this.

Because you do have more than three devices. You have a desktop computer, an iPhone and, presumably, the old iPad listed, and now you're trying to sign in with the new iPad which would be a fourth device. You won't be able to link the new iPad to your account until you remove the old iPad (or another device).

CHH1
New member | Level 2

I have only 3 devices listed on my account.  I removed my old ipad from my account. 

CHH1
New member | Level 2

I just now went back to my account and verified that I have only 3 devices listed.  Desktop, iphone and my new ipad.

Rich
Super User II

@CHH1 wrote:

I just now went back to my account and verified that I have only 3 devices listed.  Desktop, iphone and my new ipad.

Just remove the iPad from the list and you'll be able to sign in. Dropbox either sees it as the old iPad, or it doesn't recognize the new one. And remember that although it's called devices, it's more like installations. If you remove Dropbox and reinstall it, Dropbox could see it as a different device.

Just remove the device and you'll be able to sign in again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    CHH1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?