cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unknown folder and icon in my desktop app called Dropbox cache.

Unknown folder and icon in my desktop app called Dropbox cache.

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hello

I just noticed there are a folder named ".dropbox.cache" and a file icon named "desktop" in my desktop app.
What are they? Why did they appear all of sudden?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jazzmeg1 wrote:

I don't know why those two icons are in my Desktop app folder.

Aside from being hidden, the desktop file is actually called desktop.ini, and is a application settings file that controls how a folder appears in Windows. If you enable the display of file extensions, instead of hiding them, you'd see the full file name. It's part of Windows; not Dropbox. You'll see the same file in many folders throughout your computer.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jazzmeg1, happy Monday, I hope you're doing well! 

The cache folder is used as a staging area to sync files to and from your account. Dropbox keeps a cache of files hidden in your Dropbox for efficiency and for emergency purposes. 

Now, as for the desktop icon on your desktop app, I'm guessing it could be a program file, but please feel free to send me a screenshot, in order for me to have a visual of this. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hello Megan,
Thank you for getting back to me.
They were not there before. Both appeared at the same time.(about a week ago or so)

jazzmeg1_0-1679960891719.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jazzmeg1, these are hidden files, which won't be visible in normal settings on an OS. Have you enabled the visibility of hidden files on your OS?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jazzmeg1 wrote:

Aside from being hidden, the desktop file is actually called desktop.ini, and is a application settings file that controls how a folder appears in Windows. If you enable the display of file extensions, instead of hiding them, you'd see the full file name. It's part of Windows; not Dropbox. You'll see the same file in many folders throughout your computer.

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Thank you for the information, Jay
I will look into it.

Thanks.

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hi Rich,
Thank you for your explanation.
I went to Settings>For Developers>Change settings to show hidden and system files and fixed the problem!
I am puzzled because I don't remember that I enabled the file extension display.

Thank you again!

WalterWaschlappen
New member | Level 2

when i connect dropbox to an external drive, a .dropbox.cache folder appears in the dropbox folder. i would like to delete it but if i do the desktop app stops working. what do i do?

Rich
Super User II

@WalterWaschlappen wrote:

when i connect dropbox to an external drive, a .dropbox.cache folder appears in the dropbox folder. i would like to delete it but if i do the desktop app stops working. what do i do?

The .dropbox.cache folder is required for Dropbox to function properly. If it's deleted, Dropbox will just recreate it, and any actions that were in-progress would likely need to start over again (such as syncing a large file).

Need more support?