cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with Dropbox on MacOS? Spotlight and Finder don't work!!

What is going on with Dropbox on MacOS? Spotlight and Finder don't work!!

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Dropbox randomly updated to some new version and said everything is moving to Library/CloudStorage or something like that,

now I can't open files directly in Spotlight OR find using folder search in Finder (although global search "This Mac" works). 

Biggest issues:

1. Searching using spotlight and clicking on it DOES NOTHING!

2. If I am in a folder within Dropbox folder on my Mac, and I want to search for a file IN that folder using Finder, it doesn't find any file if I search using the search box in Finder, I have to click "This Mac" to find files but it finds files from EVERYWHERE when I only want to find files from within that specific Dropbox folder that I am currently in

How do I fix this? I need this functionality working ASAP ! 

Moderated edited to remove swearing

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a1a1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

Finally after 7 months of basically not being able to use my laptop I found the solution in another thread.

Instead of re-indexing Dropbox I had to re-index the entire hard drive.

From keganx: 

I have managed to fix this. (For reference, I have tried re-indexing Spotlight using command line, and does not work).

1. Open System Preferences and go to Spotlight's Privacy tab.
  2. Add the entire hard disk INTO the Privacy list.
  3. Maybe wait 30s.
  4. Remove the hard disk FROM the Privacy list.

@davidarden also posted the solution in another Dropbox thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Dropbox-is-not-searchable-in-Mac-OS-Monterey...

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34

PaulRhys
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This upgrade is a disaster. As well as what you say, I now can't edit any files in Dropbox by pressing spacebar in Finder and adding text, numbers, signatures etc. Instead, I have to move folders out of Dropbox, make the changes, and move them back in. Looking for another provider.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

This is a known an expected behaviour I'm afraid: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

philipkd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I am having the same issue. The other threads refer to Spotlight not finding files, which is different than my issue. I appear to have the same problem as OP. Files can be found, but they simply can't be opened, though. This how they look:

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 6.44.45 PM.png

There is this weird scrunched Finder icon next to the file names. I can open folders, but not specific files. I tried changing my file type association back and forth, no dice. Tried rebooting, all the usual nonsense.

Dropbox v165.4.4300

MacOS 13.1 (22C65)

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
How can I downgrade to the last version that worked properly? I don’t want this new version in cloud storage library folder I want it the way it was before

eheilner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just upgraded to new Dropbox version and search appears to be screwed.  I can see my files, I can open them no problem.  But if I enter *ANY* search  criteria in Finder, I get empty results.  

To add insult to injury, I tried reaching out to Dropbox chat support and I am told that it is an Apple problem. 

Needless to say this is totally unacceptable.  If anyone from Dropbox support is reading this, then please address this immediately.  Otherwise I'm thru with Dropbox.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @eheilner, since the Dropbox folder was moved to a new location, it needs to be re-indexed.

Can you please open the Dropbox folder, wait a little bit and then retry the search, to see if it works?

If not, you might need to re-index the entire disk.

Note: The article mentions the 'Documents' folder, but you need to use the 'Dropbox' folder instead.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

eheilner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for the prompt reply.  I tried your suggestion and re-indexed the Dropbox folder, but no luck.  Search is broken. 

In fact, if you look here:  https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes it specifically states that "Searching through Finder will only find online-only files or folders that have been previously accessed on your device running Dropbox for macOS."

Needless to say, this is completely and totally unacceptable,  Search is a core function of any modern operating system.

Can you please make the older version of Dropbox available until such time as this is fixed.  I hope this will be fixed, since otherwise I will need to find an alternate solution.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @eheilner, we appreciate your feedback on the new version of the Dropbox desktop application for Mac OS.

We take all comments into consideration when improving the app and services we provide.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

philipkd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Dropbox Dash is a decent start, albeit buggy right now. I'm currently using Alfred, and am happy again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Gregor M. Helpful | Level 6
    a1a1 Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?