cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workaround to use Windows shortcuts on iOS?

Workaround to use Windows shortcuts on iOS?

TomMunch
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is there a way to get DropBox on iOS to follow Windows shortcut links to another DropBox file in another folder on DropBox?  

I am a musician and have a very large number of Word song files in one master folder that I use a number of shortcuts in other folders to access.  This way I don't have multiple copies of a song file which would make editing a mess.  These other folders are basically for categories like genre and artist or types like summer songs, western songs, songs of the '60's etc.  I normally use these on a Windows laptop or desktop which works very well, but when I am on my iPhone or iPad I cannot follow these shortcut links.  

I've thought of trying to set up a Workflow or IFTTT solution, but I haven't figured that out yet.  

I've also contacted DropBox with a request for an up date to DropBox for iOS to allow following shortcut links to other files in DropBox, but I haven't had a response.

Does anyone know of a clever workaround or way to accomplish what I'm after?

Thanks in advance for your help!

10 Replies 10

TomMunch
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, Maple. Having shortcut support would really help me. I hope the engineers will consider this. 

The URL thing is what I was thinking for a workaround. I was also thinking that I could create a macro-type workaround that would search the Dropbox folder for the file based on the .lnk file. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TomMunch Helpful | Level 5
    Maple Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?